MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

yes 4.05 is definitely chianti. 3.56 is also but with spice. i see not many like this kind of sound...

i like it. calm. actually peaceful.

is the sound width ok? seems compressed
Fujak

Post by Fujak »

Version 4.05 avx doesn't work on my system (see profile). cmd window opens, first song starts (blinking) as it would play, but no sound. Version 4.05 sse4 however sounds as good (= detailed and calm) as my favorite 3.57 avx. I wonder whether 4.05 avx would sound even better.
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

4.05>4.04
4.05>4.03

4.04 seems too slow?
4.03 seems too fast? 4.03 sounds like sse2. just guessing
jorm

Post by jorm »

Nige said:
"Off topic stuff
So its not my imagination that the latest nec/renasas drivers give an sq lift
What way you powering your motherboard?"

-The PPA V1 card uses another chipset than the V2 and the JCAT card , the uPD720200/uPD720200a.The latest driver for these is 2.1.39 .0 from August 2012 ,that´s the one I use .The Renesas utility app says firmware is 4021,I think also the most recent .I have tried without this driver,letting Windows install a compatible Renesas version ,but this one is older ,from 2010 or 2011 and it doesn´t come with a separate USB 3.0 root hub.Sound-wise I prefer the 2.1.39.0.I think it does give a noticeable lift .I discovered that the Renesas utility app comes with an option to disable USB 3.0 power management function .Must try this out and see if it makes a difference.
-My mobo feed isn´t perfect and likely the Achilles` heel of my Zuma ,but alas ,the maximum of what I am able to achieve-until pension time ...: 12V Teddy Pardo to a PPA Pico PSU.The PPA V1 card is fed by a iFi iUSB and the SSD by a Samsung 9000 mAh battery pack.Not ideal,but way better than the default Zuma.

Cheers

Jorgen
Zuma with i7 IvyB 3770T-1,6GHz,WS R2 MSM ,PPA V4 card + NEC drivers,PPA Red Sata,PPA Pico,PPA power cables,RAM Crucial BT 4GB 800mHz 9-9-9-24 and 3 separate PSUs-TZYun Red USB cable-AP2 with PP -direct BNC -Metrum Octave Mk1-WAL L1-JOB 225
jrling

Post by jrling »

Off topic stuff

What way you powering your motherboard?

Nige

what version would that be?
I'm running 3.0.23

well i meant 3.0.23 over windows drivers
Nige - I am running DH61DL mobo with stock WS2012R2 USB 3.0 drivers.
Would you be kind enough to let me have a link to the correct 3.0.23 Renesas driver for that mobo?

Many thanks
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jorm

Post by jorm »

Zuma with i7 IvyB 3770T-1,6GHz,WS R2 MSM ,PPA V4 card + NEC drivers,PPA Red Sata,PPA Pico,PPA power cables,RAM Crucial BT 4GB 800mHz 9-9-9-24 and 3 separate PSUs-TZYun Red USB cable-AP2 with PP -direct BNC -Metrum Octave Mk1-WAL L1-JOB 225
jrling

Post by jrling »

Many thanks.
When I read the explanatory notes though - http://www.station-drivers.com/index.ph ... 23.0-WHQL/
It was all bug-fixes rather than any upgrade to the driver itself.

But I suppose there is no harm in trying it, as I think I have the built-in Windows driver currently
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Fujak wrote:Version 4.05 avx doesn't work on my system (see profile). cmd window opens, first song starts (blinking) as it would play, but no sound. Version 4.05 sse4 however sounds as good (= detailed and calm) as my favorite 3.57 avx. I wonder whether 4.05 avx would sound even better.
Fujak

the blinking is an indication that the application has crashed.
If you check the Windows Event Viewer you will see an Exception code: 0xc0000005 ("Access Violation")

I think this most likely points to a program error where it tries to access a part of memory which it isn't allowed to.
It could point to a windows security violation as well, but I have minimised security, so is not very likely.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jorm wrote:Nige said:
"Off topic stuff
What way you powering your motherboard?"

-The PPA V1 card uses another chipset than the V2 and the JCAT card , the uPD720200/uPD720200a.The latest driver for these is 2.1.39 .0 from August 2012 ,that´s the one I use .
For some reason i thought the JCAT and the V1 was the same chipset
The Renesas utility app says firmware is 4021,I think also the most recent
I was wondering that too would flashing to the latest firmware do anything positive not sure if read any reports about that
I discovered that the Renesas utility app comes with an option to disable USB 3.0 power management function .Must try this out and see if it makes a difference.
very interesting have you got a link
-My mobo feed isn´t perfect and likely the Achilles` heel of my Zuma ,but alas ,the maximum of what I am able to achieve-until pension time ...: 12V Teddy Pardo to a PPA Pico PSU.The PPA V1 card is fed by a iFi iUSB and the SSD by a Samsung 9000 mAh battery pack.Not ideal,but way better than the default Zuma.
Thinking back the default Zuma would chase us out of the listening room by comparison

Your system should work well only thing that doesn't work was ssd on linear and pico on battery just sounds weird

Might not be such thing as a perfect supply, all seems to get complicated looking for power related sq upgrades
Unfortunately there's not any massive lift to be got whilst using the pico
Since your already laden with batteries
Might be interesting for you to wire the 4 pin cpu socket direct from your teddy Pardo and place a 12v sealed lead acid battery 7 amp hour in series on that cable.
It should give a lower noise floor
12v batteries cost about 15 to 20 euro here. so you won't have to eat into your pension yet. :)
Pico on a 12v battery sounds good too incase you get a 2 for one offer
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jorm

Post by jorm »

Now we are way off topic :-),but some clarifications:
-The V1 card uses an older chipset than the V2 and the JCAT.I have no idea if this has any impact on SQ.It may have.
-As for the Renesas firmware,I haven´t read any commentaries about SQ related benefits from upgrading-and I also doubt it is relevant-or possible .So best to let this issue rest.
-The Renesas utility app is part of the 2.1.39.0 driver package.So no separate unit and no link.
-I think you misunderstood.I have the SSD on battery,the mobo on a PPA Pico PSU fed by Teddy Pardo 12V and the card on iFi iUSB.Not SOTA,but decent.Presently I have neither the time or skill,nor the space for adding more batteries next to my overcrowded rack.Thanks for the suggestions anyway!