MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:aleg, i bet you like 4k TV. has tones of details.
why don't you go for DSD? max details.
JC

To be honest, I don't know. i have never seen 4k TV. I have regular HD TV and I do admit I prefer that over SD television, so you might be right.

Don't exagerate the value of DSD. DSD has serious drawbacks with respect to high frequency noise and you need strict low pass filters to get rid of that. You need at least DSD128 to get into high-res bandwidth.

Also a problem is that most source material has been recorded on tape or are taken from vinyl masters which don't have much of a dynamic range anyway, certainly not more than CD Redbook can handle already. And modern recordings are nearly all made in PCM first and then converted into DSD later. So in those cases DSD isn't going to offer you anything more that wasn't already present in PCM.

SACDs can sound nice but my opinion is that has been created by better (re)mastering and isn't part of the technical specifcations of the DSD format itself.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

I don't take gear talk personally.
Wasn't a loaded question.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I have nothing of Naim in my system and my findings are very similar to Aleg's!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:I have nothing of Naim in my system and my findings are very similar to Aleg's!
I used to have, and Naim would actually go the other direction, "very detailed", rather than dull.
BTW, I love 3.14/2.97 combo. I have never heard my collection of read book to sound so good as it does now.
It would be nice to have hirez based on 3.14 to challenge DSD played by JRiver for now. It does sound pretty good too.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:aleg, i bet you like 4k TV. has tones of details.
why don't you go for DSD? max details.
JC

To be honest, I don't know. i have never seen 4k TV. I have regular HD TV and I do admit I prefer that over SD television, so you might be right.

Don't exagerate the value of DSD. DSD has serious drawbacks with respect to high frequency noise and you need strict low pass filters to get rid of that. You need at least DSD128 to get into high-res bandwidth.

Also a problem is that most source material has been recorded on tape or are taken from vinyl masters which don't have much of a dynamic range anyway, certainly not more than CD Redbook can handle already. And modern recordings are nearly all made in PCM first and then converted into DSD later. So in those cases DSD isn't going to offer you anything more that wasn't already present in PCM.

SACDs can sound nice but my opinion is that has been created by better (re)mastering and isn't part of the technical specifcations of the DSD format itself.

Cheers

Aleg
i think people should listen to more music.
hifi people focus too much on hifi. dynamic range, depth, stage, details....
OMG....
i have heard many CD players. many cannot reproduce the actual pianist. they are reproducing the actual piano. lol
other music like vocal. the voice > skills. face it. skill isn't that important in singing. voice is. song is.
some music is pure skill. in which case, hifi is secondary.

some mqn versions produce very good music.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

3.14 certainly reproduces music, that's way I love it!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Karl

Post by Karl »

Congratulation for mqnplay1644.exe 1cl pre hw 64 0x0r/3.61 512.
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

The 0x0 sounds much better, but doesn't have the air and space around the tones that 3.97 and 3.14 avx have.

Of today's batch I like 3.97 best
Where is it though? There's 3.98 and by now also 4.00 and 4.01, but as Aleg's judgement almost always aligns with mine, I'd love to try 3.97 myself. It's not even in the archive, at least not that I could see...
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

satshanti wrote:
The 0x0 sounds much better, but doesn't have the air and space around the tones that 3.97 and 3.14 avx have.

Of today's batch I like 3.97 best
Where is it though? There's 3.98 and by now also 4.00 and 4.01, but as Aleg's judgement almost always aligns with mine, I'd love to try 3.97 myself. It's not even in the archive, at least not that I could see...
Hi Satshanti

It is still in Archive, sort on last modification date, it is the only one from 9 june
Or try this link https://doc-0c-0k-docs.googleuserconten ... e=download
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 4.01, would be happy to settle on this one, detail, bass, dynamics without harshness. could almost be delicate. am drinking toscana rosso, is that close enough to chianti ?