What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:JS Bach: Organ Works / Helmut Walcha....
I finished off my listening to this set with the Orgelbuchlein.
conclusions Fergus? Did it give you an appetite to explore other Organ works?
Absolutely Dave....I suspect that I am only at the beginning of a very long journey!!
There was a Koopman set of Bach's Organ works in Tower recently but it was expensive.
Buxtehude might be a good option to look at next. I've a few of those recordings and I think they are pretty good. Hopefully our resident expert will be along to offer some advice. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:There was a Koopman set of Bach's Organ works in Tower recently but it was expensive.
Buxtehude might be a good option to look at next. I've a few of those recordings and I think they are pretty good. Hopefully our resident expert will be along to offer some advice. :-)
Hopefully so Dave as I am unsure which way to turn next. I would like to get some more versions of the JS Bach Organ Works played by various other organists and played on various instruments for comparison but, as you say, these tend to be expensive.
Buxtehude would seem to be a natural follow on all right but after that I am totally ignorant!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

and once again it's back to Schubert .....

Franz Schubert
Synphony No. 5

Orchestra of the 18th Century
Franz Bruggen - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Faure's Requiem is a work thats appeal has often eluded me Fergus...

...however, this recording may just have made it 'click' for me. I recommend it.

Just to put you in the picture the other recordings I own are:-

Cluytens (EMI)
Giulini (DG)
Gardiner (Philips)
Thanks for that Darren. I know that I am like a broken record on this one ....
No you're not, what makes you say tha, say tha, say tha...... [smile]
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 107 'Was willst du dich betruben' (Katharine Fuge/Kobie van Rensburg/Stephan Loges/John Eliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir/The English Baroque Soloists, Soli Deo Gloria) below

Brahms - Symphony No.1 (Gunter Wand, NDR-Symphonieorchester, RCA)

Chopin - 'Andante spianato and Grande Polonaise' (Artur Rubenstein/Alfred Wallenstein, Symphony of the Air, RCA)

Rachmaninoff - 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini' (Artur Rubenstein/Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, RCA)

bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:Thanks for that Darren. I know that I am like a broken record on this one but I think that the Summerly version on Naxos is still the best that I have yet heard
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it Fergus

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-)
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:I will soon be able to hand over the Bach Cantata mantle to you Darren!!!
I doubt that will happen anytime soon Fergus

They are great fun though aren't they?

Incidentally I am going to the JEG Proms which will see all the Brandenburgs performed on Saturday!
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Incidentally I am going to the JEG Proms which will see all the Brandenburgs performed on Saturday!
Oh you lucky, lucky sod....enjoy every note of it and be aware that I will be there with you in spirit my friend. A full report is expected!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Sibelius – Symphonies 1-3 played by the Berlin Symphony Orchestra/Sanderling....

Image Image

These performances have a big, full-bodied sound and are well played and quite powerful (almost triumphant) in places....numbers 2 & 3 ending in a blaze of glory. The slow movement of no. 3 is a particular favourite of mine and I was well pleased with this version.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Sibelius – Symphonies 1-3 played by the Berlin Symphony Orchestra/Sanderling....

Image Image

These performances have a big, full-bodied sound and are well played and quite powerful (almost triumphant) in places....numbers 2 & 3 ending in a blaze of glory. The slow movement of no. 3 is a particular favourite of mine and I was well pleased with this version.
They are lovely performances, the Sanderling/BSO Sibelius recordings do not receive the recognition that they deserve.