The genius of Beethoven

Seán

The genius of Beethoven

Post by Seán »

This is a wonderful set of documentaries

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Re: The genius of Beethoven

Post by jaybee »

thanks Sean....

I think his piano sonatas are the finest body of work in music history.....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

let me just caveat....

in my limited knowledge of musical history!!
james

Post by james »

Excellent programs -- thank you.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks again....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for posting them Seán; I will get around to them some time soon.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Lads, thanks for the positive feedback, it's much appreciated.

And to JB in particular, there are several great composers: Johann Sebastian Bach, Joseph Haydn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven who probably rank in many people's top four, not necessarily in that order. To my ear none of them surpass or even emulate Beethoven, his symphonies, string quartets and, in particular, his piano sonatas were written by a superior being. Suffice it to say that no composer (to my ear) comes close to Beethoven's piano music, not even the adorable piano music of Schubert, Chopin, Mozart or Debussy can match his exquisite output, so I agree with you on that score.

In classical music, Beethoven and Gustav Mahler, are my favourite composers. I don't suggest that they are the best but merely my favourites, I don't doubt that, over time, that will change.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'm also very fond of individual works of most composers (usually so long as they died fairly long ago!!)

I suppose most competition round these parts for a body of work in terms of Beethoven's Piano works would come from Bach's Choral Works?

I've listened to the collegium japan cycle, but I find it hard to warm to (I'd be a bigger fan of Vivaldi's choral works - limited as they are in numerical comparison!)
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:I'm also very fond of individual works of most composers (usually so long as they died fairly long ago!!)

I suppose most competition round these parts for a body of work in terms of Beethoven's Piano works would come from Bach's Choral Works?

I've listened to the collegium japan cycle, but I find it hard to warm to (I'd be a bigger fan of Vivaldi's choral works - limited as they are in numerical comparison!)
Me too, I can admire the producton values and the tonal qualties of the individual musicians on the BIS box sets but the limited supply of Suzuki's Bach in my collection leaves me cold, it's sterile. Herreweghe's approach, by comparison, fills my heart with joy and Gardiner's gets the foot, heart and blood racing, so I'd opt for Gardiner and Herreweghe instead.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I looked at BIS on foot of the Daniel Taylor version of Bachs reworking of pergolesi on the Stabat Mater disc.... and it was beautiful....