MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
2channelaudio

Re: MQN

Post by 2channelaudio »

Aleg wrote: What needs addressing?

I absolutely don't agree with JC's assessment and interpretation of the effect of affinity. Single core for mqnplay hugely improves sound quality.
Don't forget JC is listening via his mobo onboard DAC-chip through a pair of headphones.
Not comparable to setups of most other people.
Aleg, I don't listen to symphonic music.
But I do listen to many other music genres......anything from Jazz, Rock, Indy, Punk, New Age, Folk, Electronic, drums, big band....
Some recordings are fantastic some are ok.... But all of my recorded content is redbook 16/44....
I therefore need a player that sounds great across all genres and music types... not just classical.

The last few revisions of MQN after extended listening sessions have left me with ear fatigue, that's all. If this can be fixed with an updated revision then great, if not I will just use an older revision.

There's a time and a place for detail and a time and a place for musicality. I like and enjoy both...
I just want a player that is detailed but still remains musical, and yes there are many versions of MQN that do this, however I'm not certain the latest rev's tick this box.

Sure everyone loves detail for a little while, its impressive..... but after some time at least for me I always prefer a richer more textured musical presentation.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote: ...
I absolutely don't agree with JC's assessment and interpretation of the effect of affinity. Single core for mqnplay hugely improves sound quality.
Don't forget JC is listening via his mobo onboard DAC-chip through a pair of headphones.
am disappointed. you still don't know what DAC i use haha

actually tried a $500 Teac. doesn't make a difference in jitter. my brother has it now

if a software sounds lean, it will sound lean with onboard, soundcard, or usb DAC

if you use win7, it will sound like win7. did you think your $$$ invested in your setup can change it?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Re fixing mqnplay to a single core

This gave me the single greatest lift in performance for quite sometime. Mostly this is down to a lot of depth and solidity resulting in much improved presence. Certainly it's far from a thin or tiring sound oin my system with my otherwise untuned laptop. Maybe other hardware and systems react as a polar opposite, which would be concerning.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Clive wrote:Re fixing mqnplay to a single core

This gave me the single greatest lift in performance for quite sometime. Mostly this is down to a lot of depth and solidity resulting in much improved presence. Certainly it's far from a thin or tiring sound oin my system with my otherwise untuned laptop. Maybe other hardware and systems react as a polar opposite, which would be concerning.
sorry for busting your balls. but how would you know for sure? did you compare.
mqn does change affinity for every single process. you have to restore each and every one to compare.
Clive

Post by Clive »

I should have said that I'm refering to the effect of running Aleg's setup with Tasker. It could be that what I hear is due to something else in the setup as I've not conducted a scientific experiment.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:
Aleg wrote: What needs addressing?

Aleg, I don't listen to symphonic music.
Me neither ;-).
I do like and listen to classical music, but to chamber music, vocal, and piano solo.
But I also listen to jazz very often.
So my remarks are not driven by the representation of a single style or genre of music.
2channelaudio wrote: But I do listen to many other music genres......anything from Jazz, Rock, Indy, Punk, New Age, Folk, Electronic, drums, big band....
Some recordings are fantastic some are ok.... But all of my recorded content is redbook 16/44....
I therefore need a player that sounds great across all genres and music types... not just classical.
That's why I said in my previous post, the player should have a neutral tonal balance, be dynamic and expose all details. That way you get an uncoloured replay with the maximum available musical information. You could/should add other components in the chain behind MQn, either DSP or analogue EQ, to shape the sound to your musical style of that moment if you wish to have a different tonal balance for different styles of music. There are plenty of EQ type of devices or software that have these kinds of presets that change the tonal balance to suit a particular style of music.

I would like Mqn to be as neutral as possible. The difficulty is of course knowing what is neutral as none of us have heard the recording/mastering session and we don't know what it is supposed to sound like.
2channelaudio wrote: The last few revisions of MQN after extended listening sessions have left me with ear fatigue, that's all. If this can be fixed with an updated revision then great, if not I will just use an older revision.
I find the term 'ear fatigue' very difficult to understand in the sense of what aspect of the sound is causing this, and if that would be the same for everyone?

I personally can't listen for even 30 seconds to a booming bass replay. The idea of adding a subwoofer to a setup and turning its volume up is for me absolutely incomprehensible. Rock music with a lot of bass is something that I will probably never ever listen to.
2channelaudio wrote: There's a time and a place for detail and a time and a place for musicality. I like and enjoy both...
I just want a player that is detailed but still remains musical, and yes there are many versions of MQN that do this, however I'm not certain the latest rev's tick this box.
Detail and musicality are in my view not exclusive, and maybe even part of, so what do you view as 'musical' that is opposing 'detail'?
For me the so-called 'analogue', slick, fluid type of sound is not musical at all. For me that is casual, like elevator- and restaurant style. (No offense intended ;-))
Musicality in replay for me is insight in detail of the act of playing the instrument (the touch, attack, bow strike, plucking, decay, etc), placement of musicians, interplay of musicians, accurate timing, proper dynamics, rhythm and texture of instruments.
2channelaudio wrote: Sure everyone loves detail for a little while, its impressive..... but after some time at least for me I always prefer a richer more textured musical presentation.
And maybe that's where personal preferences come into play. But would one want the software player to enforce that one individual preference on all or should each find other means to achieve that effect with the rest of the replay chain.
My point-of-view is that the software player as the very beginning of the replay chain should preserve the maximum amount of musical detail in a neutral way. Because whatever is lost in this stage can never be regained, while tonal balance and details, etc can be adjusted further on.

Interesting topic

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:
Aleg wrote: ...
am disappointed. you still don't know what DAC i use haha

actually tried a $500 Teac. doesn't make a difference in jitter. my brother has it now

if a software sounds lean, it will sound lean with onboard, soundcard, or usb DAC

if you use win7, it will sound like win7. did you think your $$$ invested in your setup can change it?
Sorry JC, at the risk of sounding pompous, but I'm not impressed by a $500 Teac.
And indeed I never picked up that you changed your listening setup from onboard DAC to something else.
And I know for sure you are wrong about lean sounding lean whatever is being used, as I have first hand experience of the effect of even a single USB cable can have on sound colour.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

I don't feel there's any point posting more on this topic.
I can't add anything I haven't already said.

Just choose the version that suits your system... !
For me its earlier revisions of MQN.

There will never be the 'right' version, only the one that suits your system.

These discussions are futile, as we are all right and wrong....
The discussion can lead no where.
Sorry for derailing.
2CA
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

detail retrieval is essential
adding warmth etc you usually lose more than you gain

think pcs with noise and jitter problems can't handle the detail, and due to poor time keeping and noise causes earache
just an observation over many tweaks, dont mean to sound like an ass :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:I don't feel there's any point posting more on this topic.
I can't add anything I haven't already said.

Just choose the version that suits your system... !
For me its earlier revisions of MQN.

There will never be the 'right' version, only the one that suits your system.

These discussions are futile, as we are all right and wrong....
The discussion can lead no where.
Sorry for derailing.
2CA
2CA

No derailing, as far as I'm concerned. I think these 'philosophic' discussions about the requirements of a software player, are essential for a developer and a community, to get a common perspective of what to aim for (or not and step out of it).

So also not futile, but it is true, it is all subjective and in the ear of the beholder. Nobody's right or wrong, it only suits ones preferences and system or not.

I must say, the latest avx-es didn't do it for me either.
Am now getting used to the 3.65 avx before comparing with the older avx-es.
First impression it is a step jn the right direction again.

Cheers

Aleg