MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

what are the Naim fans views of the new owners ?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:what are the Naim fans views of the new owners ?
Wait and see.
My gear is not playing less for it.

Could be good, could be a threat.
Without inside knowledge there is nothing to say about it, except panicky opinions as you can read on the Naim forum itself
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

you guys are screwed! !

darkpink

Post by darkpink »

I think that mqnplay1644.exe lmn x 2 sounds the best of the three.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I am very close to be an ex-Naim owner (couple more weeks to switch V1 for Hugo), so all I can say is, it won't change over night, but there will be a change.
This is coming from my experience with some other companies going through similar transitions. We've already seen a lot of different things happening after merging with Focal, and this is another stage. I wouldn't be surprised if they push production of "lower models" to China or somewhere else where the labor market is way below UK level.
Friend of mine, who introduced me to Naim 10+ years ago, discovered something very interesting in last couple of months, which created very serious changes that him and I going through recently.
He's been Naim owner since early 80's not really spending too much time investigating different equipment believing that Naim sound is something he can live forever. He still owes LP12/CDS2/XPS/52/SU/135's/30.1s. Just about 3 months ago, he shipped XPS, 52 and SC to Naim distributor in Montreal to service (recap) those units, and he connected his office NAD CD565 and C350 integrated ($500-$600 on used market) to listen something until "big guns" come back. After few days, he called me to tell me how Harbeth's sounded really well with NAD. I didn't take it seriously, until he called me again after a few days. He went to the local NAD dealer and he borrowed demo C165BEE pre, and C275BEE power amp. So, the story was short...he was shocked how that combo sounded. I didn't take it seriously again, until a couple weeks back when he took that combo again, but this time we both compared back and forth, now freshly recapped (with a few weeks breaking in) Naim stuff vs NAD 165/275. CDS2/XPS was the source in both cases. NAD simply sounded better, more open, more airy, more natural. It could be some magic in NAD+Harbeth, but still, you are comparing roughly $2000 for brand new NAD combo vs. roughly (all used), $4000 NAC52, $2000 SC and $3000 135's (you can think how much brand new in that range). It doesn't make sense, but no mistake. So guess what, he already purchased a brand new set of 165/275, and Naim will be for sale soon.
I am getting a used set of 165/275, plus brand new Hugo to replace Naim DAC-V1. Hugo beats V1 for a good margin, I was so impressed as I already wrote about it. People at Naim forum compare Hugo to NDX+555, or to nDac+XPS, which is ridicules. World has change, wasn't it...?
So conclusion is, you can make it in China (NAD) for way less to be extremely competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if new Naim owners make that kind of swing in near feature.
I know that we all suffer from this wave (loosing jobs), but we can't turn the wheel the the other direction any more, it is too late, unfortunately.
Cheers
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
darkpink

Post by darkpink »

*From the Naim Forum*

" I once worked for a company who engaged with 3i. If Naim/Focal had "teamed up" with 3i, all our worst nighmares would come true. They would be sold within 3 years to a (say) Chinese conglomerate who would turn out sub-£1k mass-market products through highstreet chains. "
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

darkpink wrote:*From the Naim Forum*

" I once worked for a company who engaged with 3i. If Naim/Focal had "teamed up" with 3i, all our worst nighmares would come true. They would be sold within 3 years to a (say) Chinese conglomerate who would turn out sub-£1k mass-market products through highstreet chains. "

This is indeed one of those panicky remarks from someone with no knowledge of what's happening inside.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

we all see how software players affect sound.

i don't see how say a $10000 DAC + foobar can sound better than a naim + mqn.

just saying, DAC company should know this. sell the company before it is too late
darkpink

Post by darkpink »

Aleg wrote:
darkpink wrote:*From the Naim Forum*

This is indeed one of those panicky remarks from someone with no knowledge of what's happening inside.
Indeed, they're very panicky.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

cvrle59 wrote:
I am very close to be an ex-Naim owner (couple more weeks to switch V1 for Hugo), so all I can say is, it won't change over night, but there will be a change.
This is coming from my experience with some other companies going through similar transitions. We've already seen a lot of different things happening after merging with Focal, and this is another stage. I wouldn't be surprised if they push production of "lower models" to China or somewhere else where the labor market is way below UK level.
Friend of mine, who introduced me to Naim 10+ years ago, discovered something very interesting in last couple of months, which created very serious changes that him and I going through recently.
He's been Naim owner since early 80's not really spending too much time investigating different equipment believing that Naim sound is something he can live forever. He still owes LP12/CDS2/XPS/52/SU/135's/30.1s. Just about 3 months ago, he shipped XPS, 52 and SC to Naim distributor in Montreal to service (recap) those units, and he connected his office NAD CD565 and C350 integrated ($500-$600 on used market) to listen something until "big guns" come back. After few days, he called me to tell me how Harbeth's sounded really well with NAD. I didn't take it seriously, until he called me again after a few days. He went to the local NAD dealer and he borrowed demo C165BEE pre, and C275BEE power amp. So, the story was short...he was shocked how that combo sounded. I didn't take it seriously again, until a couple weeks back when he took that combo again, but this time we both compared back and forth, now freshly recapped (with a few weeks breaking in) Naim stuff vs NAD 165/275. CDS2/XPS was the source in both cases. NAD simply sounded better, more open, more airy, more natural. It could be some magic in NAD+Harbeth, but still, you are comparing roughly $2000 for brand new NAD combo vs. roughly (all used), $4000 NAC52, $2000 SC and $3000 135's (you can think how much brand new in that range). It doesn't make sense, but no mistake. So guess what, he already purchased a brand new set of 165/275, and Naim will be for sale soon.
I am getting a used set of 165/275, plus brand new Hugo to replace Naim DAC-V1. Hugo beats V1 for a good margin, I was so impressed as I already wrote about it. People at Naim forum compare Hugo to NDX+555, or to nDac+XPS, which is ridicules. World has change, wasn't it...?
So conclusion is, you can make it in China (NAD) for way less to be extremely competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if new Naim owners make that kind of swing in near feature.
I know that we all suffer from this wave (loosing jobs), but we can't turn the wheel the the other direction any more, it is too late, unfortunately.
Cheers
Now you both gonna get fired from "Naim Community"! ;-)
How dare you to compare something else with Naim?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS