MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:
sima66 wrote:Aleg, when I need to change to different version, what MQnplay, from the folder, I need to replace? :(
Is another way of asking that question 'Where has the path in the mqnbat file gone? That is the bit that throws me.
Tony

Are you peaking inside now? I thought you guys only understood English?

I replaced the path with a variable called %rundir%.
That %rundir% contains the path to the directory where you are running from. That way you don't have to change that path command in the batch file anymore, because the batch determines by itself where it is located.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sima66 wrote:ss2 3.19 is very good, but still prefer the avx 3.14.

Aleg, your "package" of avx 3.14 sound way better that mine!
BTW, I was able to run avx's before this and always with Tasker, so I made mine avx 3.14 folder and compared. Looks that only the clock rate made all this difference?! Is there anything else in this "turbo package"? Controlled substances???
The only things done are setting the affinity with tasker, so assigning mqnplay and mqncontrol each to their own dedicated core and I gave mqnplay realtime priority. I don't know if you did that already.
Besides that it only sets clockrate to 448. Nothing else
sima66 wrote: I remember that before when we changed the clock rate manualy, I tried and I did not like the 448 clock rate!
I did not need to run as administrator, it played "strait out of the box"! I guess it automatically does?!
I didn't even found that choice of changing to "Run this program as an Administrator" in Minimal Server (I found it in W7, in my regular PC)!
The setting of the checkbox "Run this program as Administrator" is only required on Windows 8.1
I tried to keep things simple by avoiding to much variations in my description.
You are right on Windows Server 2012 R2 you don't have to set this checkbox. Probably the default security policy on profesionnal business oriented Windows Server is different to the policy on the consumer oriented Windows 8.1. Professional businesses are expected to be more aware of security issues and act appropriately. Consumers need a bit more protection out-of-the-box so things are a bit more strict.
sima66 wrote: Another funny thing is that in all my MQn versions (folders), with the "mqnplay 1644", soon as I play them once, I get one extra mqnplay in the same folder! That all started tonight, when I first played your avx 3.14!
That is done by the new mqncontrol from Gordon. It has changed the way it handles different sample rates. You now have to have an mqnplay1644.exe, mqnplay2496.exe, mqnplay24192.exe etc for each of the sample rates to be played. The new mqncontrol determines the sample rate of the music files and copies the appropriate mqnplayxxxx.exe to mqnplay.exe which is then used to play the music files.
sima66 wrote: The only questions still remain of how to change the path and which one of the mqnplay should be replaced when use a different version?
I already explained in another posting, you don't have to change the path anymore. The batchfile will check by itself where it is located and use all the programs in that directory. So no more changing of the command "cd c:\musicplayer\...." is required.

When setting up a new version alongside an old version, just make a copy of the complete directory I sent you and replace the mqnplay1644.exe etc with the new versions

sima66 wrote: Thanks again, Aleg, for your patience and forgive for all the stupid questions in this computer madness! Most of as just have just love and desire for the music and not the knowledge how to use it with the computer! Trust me is very frustrating!!!:(

Best,
Adam
I understand, but I think it is unavoidable to have some computer knowledge when doing computer-based audio, esp. with MQn as it is so much still being developed and not so much built for user-friendliness. This is all still cutting edge development where focus is on getting to the core of sound quality technically speaking, and we are still using technical prototypes and not yet finished consumer products.

Compare it to a new Sony cd player, where we are playing with a copy of the R&D prototype still wired together with loose boards plug-in wiring and exchangeable processors and chips in order to find the best product. Such a laboratory prototype would not be suitable for consumer end users. And that is what we are doing here.

Furthermore what Gordon is doing is venturing into the obscure world of deep internals of Windows, and what effects that has and what is required to make it work without errors, is not always very clear because Windows internals are very complicated and not very well documented or at least accessibly documented for our purpose.

At least give it a try to follow what is done by Gordon, Taggart etc when new versions are released and ask when you don't follow. For us IT-people it is usually very clear what is happening and doesn't require explicit explanation, but for not so computer literate people it will be different. Usually it is not so difficult to explain but just requires the effort to do so.

I hope you'll be able to catch up a bit more now.

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote: Aleg would you mind pm me the registry key also? I have a problem with an 8.1 windows laptop does not play any mqn's and this sounds probably the issue. btw the secpol.msc does not work on 8.1. searching online suggests going into regedit and trying to locate it that way but the path suggested did not lead to the local policy setting your screenshots above show.
Tony
I'll send you a PM, but be aware you are going to mess with the registry so make your backups. It is a very easy change, but you are still messing with the registry!!

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:3.19 has preload to cache
sse 3.19 is better again and IMHO coming closer and closer to an avx.
But avx keeps remains still that bit ahead

Or to say it with pictures:

SSE

AVX
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

3.19 is really good
3.18 has quantity. 3.19 adds a little quality to it.

in 3.19, resolution is kept, while focuses less on quantity, and more on the music.

think this is the right direction

EDIT
does anyone think the density is 'too high'? feels like it is trying too hard
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

3.20 sse2 and 3.21 sse2, think 3.20 is better, there is just 1 setting different.

these are improved versions of 3.19 with a few code changes

please no more comments about avx vs sse2, that is a known we are after the unknowns.
tony

Post by tony »

TBH Struggling on hearing any differences between 20/21. Compared to 19 maybe both are just a tad mellower. Would need to listen to more stuff to see if I could pick them out.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
madman6000

batch file doesn't work

Post by madman6000 »

Getting this error no idea why. I right click on the wav file, copy, then double click mqn.bat. Help!

Active code page: 65001
File Not Found
The system cannot find the file File1.txt.
Could Not Find C:\MUSICPLAYER\File1.txt
Active code page: 437
Playback commenced - 19:46:49

Press any key to continue . . .
madman6000

Post by madman6000 »

So I hacked the batch file so I could at least test with one file but now I get no sound out of my JKDAC32 is there something else I have to do?

Active code page: 65001
Active code page: 437
Playback commenced - 20:19:18

Last Chance

The operation completed successfully.

File Format 16 bits per sample 44100 samples per second

File load count - 1

X - Exit:
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Can someone please explain what 'avx' is? Is there a specific mqn control that works with those? I tried to load one and it wouldn't work. I'd read all the pages since I last posted here but by the time I did that I'd just still be behind again.

EDIT: lol, never mind I see that Aleg posted yesterday.
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251