MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: MQN

Post by cvrle59 »

I am wondering, if anybody here had a chance to audition Chord Hugo Dac? There is a very serious buzz on Naim forum about it, almost like kind of panic. That little box seems to be a big player among Dac's.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

After trying the 2.75, I still prefer the R2.73 + control R1.5. For me the best combo. It fits in my system like a missing puzzle! ;-)

The 2.73 has a better balance, better highs and tighter bass.

R2.75 is a bit better with the control 100000, bur still not in the level of R2.73+control R1.5.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
thisisvv

Post by thisisvv »

cvrle59 wrote:I am wondering, if anybody here had a chance to audition Chord Hugo Dac? There is a very serious buzz on Naim forum about it, almost like kind of panic. That little box seems to be a big player among Dac's.

i ahve its big brother qbd76.... i can give some opinion about that dac....

just trying to figure out how to get mqn working...

V
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

thisisvv wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:I am wondering, if anybody here had a chance to audition Chord Hugo Dac? There is a very serious buzz on Naim forum about it, almost like kind of panic. That little box seems to be a big player among Dac's.

V
V

Some relevant questions regarding you mqn issues:
- What operating system are you using and what CPU-model?
- What versions of mqnplay and mqncontrol are you using? To what filenames did you chnage these?
- How do you start mqn? Via mqn.bat or mqnload?
- If via mqn.bat, what directory did you put mqnplay, and the other files in?
- Did you change the content of mqn.bat?
- How do you select the music files to be played?
- What resolution and bit depth do these files have?
- What DAC / DDC do you use?
- Did you set the DAC as the default Sound Device in Windows?
- Did you run WASAPI-test to see if WASAPI is available?
- What container size does WASAPI-test report as being supported for each of the resolutions in WASAPI - Exclusive mode?
- Did you check windows event log to see what error message is reported when mqnplay crashes?

These questions at least require an answer to get a picture of what you are doing and where igt might go wrong.

Looking forward to your answers

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

thisisvv wrote:...
have you tried 2.71? it works for almost everyone
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uses fpga, wonder if the player still matters
Clive

Post by Clive »

sbgk wrote:
uses fpga, wonder if the player still matters
Doing a test with different MQn versions would be really interesting.....or Foobar and MQn.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

thisisvv wrote:

V
Aleg will help you on this I see he is working on it already.
I am wondering if you had a chance to compare small brother to the big brother. I heard that big brother is very good, but it is significantly more expensive too.
You can PM to me, please, rather than we use this thread for that kind of discussion.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

cvrle59 wrote:
thisisvv wrote:

V
Aleg will help you on this I see he is working on it already.
I am wondering if you had a chance to compare small brother to the big brother. I heard that big brother is very good, but it is significantly more expensive too.
You can PM to me, please, rather than we use this thread for that kind of discussion.
open a new thread for this guys id be interested in this too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Someone posted this comparing it to nDAC/555PS=$4000+$10000=$14000. Hugo is about $2400. Is this a joke or Chord discovered something that hasn't been discovered yet?

'I said I’d make a few more comments when I had time, so here it is for anyone who’s interested…

In short, I think the Hugo is fantastic. Having earlier commented that I wasn't sure whether I preferred it to an Ndac/555, I'm pretty sure now that I do. I have to say that I'm rather surprised and frankly somewhat confused by this, not least because I like the Naim sound so much and have done for so long. The idea that such good sound could come from such a tiny little thing is rather difficult to get your head round when you're used most reasonably high-end kit, never mind Naim with its power supplies and chunky cables.

Being analytical about the sound, the only area in which I think the Ndac shades it is in terms of ultimate bass extension. The Hugo produces plenty, but the naim combo ultimately it has just shade more heft and weight.

Overall however, my impression has not been that there is anything particularly striking about particular aspects of the Hugo sound, but that I have simply found myself thinking "just one more track" in a way that I have not really done with digital since moving my CDS3 on. As other people have commented, there is something about the sound that is very non-digital in the way that it sounds unforced, natural and fluid. The best way I could describe it would be as being akin to a KDS with some added, more Naim-like drive and solidity. It really is that good.

The other very pleasing aspect for me is that it means everything I need for digital listening (i.e. my HDX and the Hugo) fits on one fraim shelf rather than on three. As far as I can tell, the Hugo is completely support agnostic and does not to my ears sound any different whether sat on various bits of Naim, on its own shelf, on the floor or held in my hand. This being so, I can't really see the point of having it sat on a separate shelf. That said, if you are going to use it as more of a digital preamp and therefore would need to use and access the controls, the situation might then be different.

It appears similarly indifferent to the input used and source. I've tried it with various combinations of spdif, optical and usb from a Macbook and Mac Mini, NDX and HDX. Although i won't pretend my "testing" was in any way scientific, I could not hear any difference between the various options. No idea whether it would be different with hi res music, as I've not got any! "