Recent Purchases

bombasticDarren

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Kubelik/BRSO is my favourite Schumann cycle Fergus. Congratulations on a great purchase
Cheers Darren....I struggle a bit with Schumann tbh so I am always looking for a new angle/approach with him. I am looking forward to hearing the cycle!
By way on contrast Fergus, Schumann was one of the 'great' composers that I took to very quickly

I hope you enjoy your Kubelik discs
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:[By way on contrast Fergus, Schumann was one of the 'great' composers that I took to very quickly

I hope you enjoy your Kubelik discs
That is interesting Darren....it has taken me considerably longer. The Kubelik will be my sixth Schumann cycle and I am still not quite there yet in terms of appreciation; some you get, others you don't....but onwards I battle!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Have to say, I've yet to "get" Schumann's orchestral work, but I'm a big fan of his piano works. Kreisleriana is one of my favourite piano cycles full stop.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bombasticDarren

fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Have to say, I've yet to "get" Schumann's orchestral work, but I'm a big fan of his piano works. Kreisleriana is one of my favourite piano cycles full stop.
I have yet to go there Simon....any particular pianist that you would recommend?
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Image
I certainly look forward to reading what you think of that one Darren.
bombasticDarren

I look forward to hearing it Fergus. The St Matthew Passion is rapidly becoming one of my very favourite works of all!
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:I look forward to hearing it Fergus. The St Matthew Passion is rapidly becoming on my my very favourite works of all!
Interesting Darren....I only have the Gardiner and Suzuki versions but as always I am always on the look out for something different with JSB and frequently consider non period performances for comparison and contrast.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:
Diapason wrote:Have to say, I've yet to "get" Schumann's orchestral work, but I'm a big fan of his piano works. Kreisleriana is one of my favourite piano cycles full stop.
I have yet to go there Simon....any particular pianist that you would recommend?
I'm still searching for the perfect reading myself! Sounds like we've both got a few suggestions on the other thread.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
...any particular pianist that you would recommend?
I like the Klara Würtz recording on Brilliant Classics:

Here's an introduction to Klara Würtz playing Schumann:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEGfZaixBE&NR=1
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler