Hi Fi Components which you admire

Adrian

Hi Fi Components which you admire

Post by Adrian »

Whilst recently remembering various CD players I have admired I thought I would just post up a few and other components.

In no particular order...

The Copland CDA 823 cd player... saw one maybe 8 or 10 years ago... I thought it was cool then, and I still do now..

Onto Amplifiers...

The AudioLab 8000LX... saw this in the Hi Fi shop beside the Old Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay (remember that one?), it was reduced from 500 quid to 400 or so... when I went back in the following week the sale was over and they would not accept my offer of the sale price. So I thought to myself... if they can be stubborn... so can I, so out I walked with my money in my pocket.. Something about the clean minimalist lines which I find cool..

Thorens TD 350... Love the Red Ash plinth...

Speakers...

The Sonus Faber Guarnieri....Saw these in Cloney's a few years back... seriously cool in my opinion... "what say yee?"

Last edited by Adrian on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Re: Hi Fi Components which you admire

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote: Onto Amplifiers...

The AudioLab 8000LX... saw this in the Hi Fi shop beside the Old Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay (remember that one?), it was reduced from 500 quid to 400 or so... when I went back in the following week the sale was over and they would not accept my offer of the sale price. So I thought to myself... if they can be stubborn... so can I, so out I walked with my money in my pocket.. Something about the clean minimalist lines which I find cool..
I first saw one of those in "Livewires" in the Hibernian Way Dawson St. The young enthusiastic sales assistant was going on and on about how beautiful it was and I was looking at it and thinking "eh?" "Don't really like it myself". That said I grew to really like the looks and I even owned one for quite a while... back in the late 1990s I was involved with a UK based DVD hardware/region forum and as talk turned to hif (naturally) it was surprising how many of us were listening to Marantz CD player + Audiolab amp + Tannoy speakers.

On the Copland CD player....
I had for a while a Copland CD 266 (I think) with Copland pre & Power.... lovely just to look at! Sounded bloody good too!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Good stuff Ivor.. never knew you had a Audiolab... they were very well regarded at the time... still are too. What model Tannoy's did you own?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote:Good stuff Ivor.. never knew you had a Audiolab... they were very well regarded at the time... still are too. What model Tannoy's did you own?
I had a pair of small 631s first, quite punchy and certainly coloured but they were a fun engaging speaker.

I liked them so much I then bought the bigger beefier 607s, a great rock speaker. Again not subtle but very likable.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
block

Post by block »

For me it was the pioneer pre/power c90/m90

Loved the look and still do even though I'm not really into the retro look.
I remember every now and then going into the hifi shop in Cork city during the mid to late 80s staring at them and then one day they were gone!

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

For me it was the pioneer pre/power c90/m90
Very classy indeed... complete with wooden side trims... Nice!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Great idea for a thread Adrian :) Nice to know you like the Audiolab looks; at least my Crofts are in good company!

My choice for this thread is this newish tt which is actually based on Tom Fletcher's Nottingham Analogue/Fletcher Audio tt's. And the price? A very fair £799.00 without arm! The optional arm in the video is an OL Alliance (£295.00). Said to outperform the almost three times the price N A Hyperspace and Fletcher Audio .3 tt.

This would be my choice of finish. Friggin' gorgeous!
Last edited by cybot on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

My ears - the most import "hifi component". I was going to post a pic but the close-up looked a bit too much like Father Jack.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Airtight 211's. Would love to hear a pair of these driving my speakers.

Jadis 200 that comes in 4 separate units. 160watts! Almost pulled the trigger on a second hand pair of these in Cloney's many moons back. Jadis still produces some of the nicest valve sound I've ever heard.

For turntables, it was a toss up between the Roksan and Palmer. The Roksan in the red finish just barely edges it for me.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Derek

Post by Derek »

I always thought the Naim Nait MK1 was a great value for money amp.
It punched way above it's weight, and is still a solid performer.

Classe CP60 Pre Amp, one of the very best they made and I reckon still one of the best pre amps you could lay your hands on.
A stunning unit that comes with a dedicated power supply and a remote that also doubles as a hammer.
I still regret having to trade in mine but I did get an "Air Tight ATM4"

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.