What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Wonderful music, I love it. My only misgiving is that classical musicians on the first movement of the Symphonic Dances have the alto saxophone sound like a foghorn: I dislike the tone that they get from the instrument.....do they never listen to Jazz musicans, I wonder? :o
I would have thought that many woodwind and brass orchestral players do indeed play jazz so perhaps it is something else?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to some wonderful chamber music by Schumann and Brahms. First up was a recent release on the Audite label comprising Schumann's Piano Quartet and Piano Quintet featuring the Mandelring Quartet (whose Shostakovich cycle I really must investigate) with pianist Claire-Marie Le Guay. These are wonderfully fiery performances of some of Schumann's most inspired music. Then I played Kim Kashkashian and Robert Levin's spellbinding recordings of Brahms's two viola sonatas on ECM. There's a bewitching sense of intimacy about Kashkashian's playing which is supported beautifully by Levin's forceful yet never overbearing accompaniments.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Wonderful music, I love it. My only misgiving is that classical musicians on the first movement of the Symphonic Dances have the alto saxophone sound like a foghorn: I dislike the tone that they get from the instrument.....do they never listen to Jazz musicans, I wonder? :o
I would have thought that many woodwind and brass orchestral players do indeed play jazz so perhaps it is something else?
Forgive my rather turgid prose.....I was very tired when I wrote that comment. I never cease to be impressed by the gorgeous clean sound that classical musicians get from oboes, clarinets, trumpets, violins et al; yet I find it baffling why they cannot do the same when it comes to playing the saxophone. Perhaps it's a Russian thing, I don't know.
Last edited by Seán on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Variations (15) and Fugue for Piano in E flat major, Op. 35 "Eroica"
Sonata for Piano no 20 in G major, Op. 49 no 2

Alfred Brendel - Piano
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler – 5 Ruckertlieder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen....

These are absolutely beautifully sung with very sensitive accompaniment.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Forgive my rather turgid prose.....I was very tired when I wrote that comment. I never cease to be impressed by the gorgeous clean sound that classical musicians get from oboes, clarinets, trumpets, violins et al; yet I find it baffling why they cannot do the same when it comes to playing the saxophone. Perhaps it's a Russian thing, I don't know.
Nothing to forgive, my friend, and if the truth be known you would know a lot more about the sound of a saxaphone than I would!!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Mahler – 5 Ruckertlieder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen....

These are absolutely beautifully sung with very sensitive accompaniment.
A wonderful record. I got the Rückert-Lieder and LefG with Barbirolli's magnificent M5 on LP more than 30 years ago: I must dig them out as I haven't listened to them in a while!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Symphony No. 1
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I adore Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux, and while in many ways Idil Biret on Naxos is still my first choice for her sheer sense of melancholy, this recording brings something different to the table.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

Symphony No. 1
'tis my favourite version of the Titan.