MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: sse2

Post by sbgk »

m.massimo wrote:I'm a MQn user since a couple of months. I usually run mqnplay.exe 2.73 448 intel raw background, mqncontrol 2.71 448 10 and mqnload on a 8.1Pro-64 Atom D2700 based platform (AsRock AD2700-ITX) into a WaveIO (2.15) board.
It replaced foobar on redbook cause it delivers much greater satisfaction in terms of listening enjoyment. It has been a startling revelation from the beginning. Every element of musical reproduction has improved a lot.
I've just tested sse2 hirez version this morning and it works associated with mqncontrol v1 on every bit/sample pair up to 24/192. With mqncontrol v1 200000, mqnplay stops (with associated popup window "mqnplay.exe has stopped working") in a few seconds with 24/88, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 tracks, 44 and 48 rates are ok (both 16 and 24).
All sse4 and avx don't work on my system (not compliant).
My test has not been a listening test, just with scope at the dac output. Listening test to come.
I want to add my thanks to sbgk for this great player.
thanks for the feedback, shall do an atom version once things are settled.

do you have any views why it is better than foobar ?
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

uploaded v3 avx and v7 sse2 versions, getting closer.

What I notice about when the sound is very good is that it becomes an emotional experience - there is a feeling in the stomach just like when at a live concert as one get's emotionally connected to the music. I believe these versions have that quality.
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

v7 sse2 sounds great, love it but still can't play nothing above 24/48 (strange thing) on any of my devices.

Regarding Foobar... Foobar sounds flat and dry to me.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded v3 avx and v7 sse2 versions, getting closer.

What I notice about when the sound is very good is that it becomes an emotional experience - there is a feeling in the stomach just like when at a live concert as one get's emotionally connected to the music. I believe these versions have that quality.
Gordon

Are these compatible with DDC's that use 32-bit containers for 24-bit samples?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

John Dot wrote:Regarding Foobar... Foobar sounds flat and dry to me.
You anticipated my words. Sterile, I dare to say.
That sensation becomes very clear when I comeback to foobar after MQn, particularly in the mid registry (voices above all). That's what impressed and surprised me the first time I listened MQn. There's life with MQn.
In my view, fidelity is not in the sense that the reproduction is exactly as the original (I never listened the original event) but that the reproduction is credible, could be real.
When I play foobar my feeling is almost always about listening to a reproduction, a fake. When I play MQn sometimes happens that everything is credible, it depends heavily on recording quality.

This morning I listened hirez sse2 v6 + control v1 on my Atom based pc and everything worked flawlessly at every bit/sample rate. Music is very good but I have to say that 2.73 448 is better on redbook tracks, more air around instruments and voices and better punch in the bass registry, in my opinion.

I have not listened v7 yet, though.
My DAC is a WaveIO->I2S->Opus 8740->BroskieCF(6N6P)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

448 gives excellent sound. buffer size is not best match with my soundcard. so missing some resolution.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

have uploaded 24 bit sse2 v8 and v4 avx2, aiming for a more solid sound. One of the issues with passing data through the cpu is that it does it in things called cache lines which are 64 bytes each, v3/v6 used 2 cache lines and sounded a bit light weight to me, v4/v7 uses 3. 4 cache lines seems to be too much and it starts to conflict with other things, anyway seems to be a loss of SQ. Haven't tried 3 before, but seems a good compromise.
Last edited by sbgk on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ le Roi

Post by DJ le Roi »

John Dot wrote:v7 sse2 sounds great, love it but still can't play nothing above 24/48 (strange thing) on any of my devices.

Indeed, v7sse2 sounds great. Also v8sse2 is very good.
I also can't listen to highres tracks. Music starts but there are a lot of crackles. I use mqncontrol hirez v1.
Should I use another version of mqncontrol?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

DJ le Roi wrote:
John Dot wrote:v7 sse2 sounds great, love it but still can't play nothing above 24/48 (strange thing) on any of my devices.

Indeed, v7sse2 sounds great. Also v8sse2 is very good.
I also can't listen to highres tracks. Music starts but there are a lot of crackles. I use mqncontrol hirez v1.
Should I use another version of mqncontrol?
you'll have to wait for a 200000 version or complain to your dac mfr that they are restricting the sq by failing to allow for smaller period sizes or maybe it's the latency of your system that is the issue, not something I've had a problem with with any of the devices I've used
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

think v3/v7 is the best