Richard Strauss: profound genius or gifted entertainer?

Peter

Re: Richard Strauss: profound genius or gifted entertainer?

Post by Peter »

Seán wrote:
Peter wrote:
fergus wrote:No problem Peter. Let me know how you get on. I really should not have used the very non PC term "hedonistic and hysterical" but those that know me know that I am a huge R Strauss fan so I was not denegrading the music. I should have been more gentile and used the term "challenging" but I think that you understood me perfectly LOL!! Anyway you may surprise yourself and enjoy the music!!
I suspect it is a slightly acquired taste? It seems as much of classical music initially calls for that approach. I cannot believe there used to be a time when I did not enjoy opera. Do classical pieces become more harmonious to one's mind as the the music patterns become more and more familiar? That is my hypothesis....
Yes, I believe that to be true and I think that a willingness to listen attentively alone for hours on end has a lot to do with it too, I have always done that, my peers have not.
True! It probably depends on the piece one is "attuning" to... Some recordings become very good "friends" in that mind space of auditory harmony and imagination.