What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote: Not really one of my favorite versions of the M9. I'd put the Bernstein/BPO, Barbirolli and Rattle versions ahead of this one by a considerable distance. Cant quite put my finger on it but something with the sound balance just doesnt agree with me here.
You might want to consider Walter, Klemperer and Giulini too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote: Not really one of my favorite versions of the M9. I'd put the Bernstein/BPO, Barbirolli and Rattle versions ahead of this one by a considerable distance. Cant quite put my finger on it but something with the sound balance just doesnt agree with me here.
I have all those too Seán. Giulini is a good one that I had forgotten about but Klemperer for some reason has never really done it for me with Mahler.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:
I have all those too Seán. Giulini is a good one that I had forgotten about but Klemperer for some reason has never really done it for me with Mahler.
Dave, I have always had a fondness for Karel Ancerl with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra playing M9. It is on the Supraphon label if you want to have a look at it. I have the older version of this disc but it is a good one.
Last edited by fergus on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 165 'O heiliges Geist - und Wasserbad' & Cantata BWV 185 'Barmherziges Herze der ewigen Liebe' (Midori Suzuki/Aki Yanagisawa/Akira Tachikawa/Makato Sakurada/Stephan Schreckenberger/Masaaki Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan, BIS)

Berwald - Symphony No.1 'Sinfonie serieuse' (Neeme Jarvi, Gothenberg Symphony Orchestra, DG)

Saint-Saens - Symphony No.3 'Organ' (Jean Guillou/Edo de Waart, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Philips Eloquence) below

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I heard this one in Ciaran's place last year. I think the disc belonged to Simon who was also there at the time. Anyway I know shag all about the ins and outs of proper organ playing and interprative styles blah blah blah but I do really like this

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:I heard this one in Ciaran's place last year. I think the disc belonged to Simon who was also there at the time. Anyway I know shag all about the ins and outs of proper organ playing and interprative styles blah blah blah but I do really like this
Hopefully I will be able to have a proper conversation with you in this regard towards the end of the year when I educate myself somewhat!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart/Mackerras: Over the last while I have been listening to discs nos. 2-6....

These discs basically cover the symphonies written during Mozart’s teenage years. The performances are really well played with speeds that are brisk but never rushed which reflect the youthful energy contained in the music. The slow movements are full of charm. Recorded in a full and warm acoustic the orchestral textures are very clean and clear throughout. So far this is a very pleasing set indeed.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:
Oh I am surprised because I love Klemperer's Mahler, I think that his Ninth is awesome.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Another lovely Number Nine:

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:Anyway I know shag all about the ins and outs of proper organ playing and interprative styles blah blah blah but I do really like this
The second part of this sentence is far more important than the first!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2