Airtight amps for sale on the wam

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
tony

Airtight amps for sale on the wam

Post by tony »

Somebody might be interested in these bits of exotica

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... 2-RCA-211s
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Re: Airtight amps for sale on the wam

Post by Diapason »

Could somebody loan me about 10 grand? And by loan, I mean gift.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

spotted those alright, they look beautiful

they suit you si, being power amps with volume control you'd still avoid the need for a pre!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The 211 is probably the sweet spot in terms of SET amps. Enough power to run most speakers, and yet not so incredibly over the top to mean unreliability.

Hiowever, your average 211 has <2000hrs life, and costs a pretty penny to replace. You'd want to be prepared for that. I have a 211 amp here and the bass from it unreal. The highs coule be sweeter, but I think that is because of the preamp circuitry in it.

A 211 draws 10.5amps at 2.5V for the heaters - no wonder they light up like a bulb!

fran

ps I saw a positive review of these in stereophile from a few years back...
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

10.5 amps, so 21 for the pair? Jerciful maysus, I think I'd need to rewire the house.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

Diapason wrote:I think I'd need to rewire the house.
a couple of jumper leads from the power line would see you right.
ooooooooooooooooooh i like that
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, thats 10.5A at 2.5V so overall power for heaters is ~26W so say 50W total. Then you have to add the other valves heaters plus the high voltage.... it all adds up!! In total its probably not much more than other amps, but I can tell you when you hit the switch you fell like ducking!!

These valves are not only SET but also DHT - which is a whole step further into SET territory. The downside is that they can be a bit hummy. If I recall rightly, there was a slight hum reported in the stereophile article.

But they are indeed objects of desire! I'd say they'd go well with a pair of Dubhs!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

the german valve engineer thomas mayer has made an impressive set of 211 mono blocks and i think he will supply in kit it is a really interesting read and he speaks about his visit to a son of one of the head man at telefunkten who is making new valves -maybe some of you technical forum members could get up the link -vinyl savour -he also speaks about meeting katie melua the singer who uses a sheau turntable sorry for bad spelling
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote:Well, thats 10.5A at 2.5V so overall power for heaters is ~26W so say 50W total.
Ah yes of course, sorry. 10.5A at 2.5V not quite the same as 10.5A running through mains wiring...