Wanted Record Collections To Buy

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Daradh

Wanted Record Collections To Buy

Post by Daradh »

Hi Looking for Record Collections to buy if anyone is selling.
From 50 - 5000 lps
Phone. 086 848 9796
email. im@gine.net

Thanks
Daradh
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Wanted Record Collections To Buy

Post by Fran »

Daradh,

Welcome on board. I get the distinct impression that you might be a shop or dealer - please do give us more details....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Alltheyoungdudes

Post by Alltheyoungdudes »

While I would wish anyone well in the hunt for record collections, I think it's gotten a lot harder to come across decent stuff at bargain prices over the past few years. Even markets and charity shops etc., seem to be aware of the vinyl revival and have priced accordingly - it's a long time since I've come across anything decent.
I can remember about ten years ago at the back of Blackrock market coming across a box of brand new albums - Ry Cooder, Linda Ronstadt, Doobie Brothers, Rickie Lee Jones, Little Feat etc...all on the Warner label. (I bought the lot!) Can't see that happening again. A young female neighbour of mine has just inherited a huge collection from her uncle - Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc -and she's delighted. Ten years ago they would have gone to the charity shop but the younger generation have become more interested in vinyl.

(The last vinyl bargains I got were in Amsterdam - a second-hand place on the Prinsengracht. Mint early pressings of Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Warren Zevon etc!)
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Best collection of good quality and priced second hand vinyl I seen was in a store called Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, California last year.
Spent a large part of early 2013 out there and the store was a short walk from where I was staying and I really enjoyed going down there of a Saturday rooting through the vinyl, never bought any though as I had sold on my vinyl years before but really enjoyed the experience.

They had a room there packed with boxes of vinyl which they were actively buying from a strong customer base built up over many year's and they would break out a couple of boxes when they had a spare hour or two to start cataloguing what they found, I would watch on in anticipation of what might appear some of the days there.

Best collection of Jadis, Mackintosh and Turntable gear I have ever seen there as well, worth a visit if anyone is ever looking for something to do on a trip to California.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Maciej »

Let me ask you all wise man here.
Can you see this happening with CD’s in the future as well?

I have large collection of music on CD, some albums I have not been listening for years as they appear to me as I would have squeezed out long time ago all the charm they used to have. Some others are badly released and I might still like the tune but hate the way that the album sounds.
Should I start selling the music now, keep if for another while or let to be buried with them all?

Regards
Maciej
Last edited by Maciej on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bod

Post by bod »

As far as I can tell it seems that original cd editions are the only discs worth selling these days as most re-issues are very poor (brickwalled etc.). Bowie original RCA`s are always in demand for example. I`ve been buying new or s/h discs for anything from €1.50 to €5.00 tops lately, so unless they are "the best digital" versions it probably isn`t worth your while trying to sell them!
tony

Post by tony »

What's Brickwalled Dave?

I am in the same situation Maciej. want to get rid of them before they become potentially worthless. Hopefully I could raise enough money to buy 30 sheets of emi paper!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
bod

Post by bod »

Hi Tony. "Brickwalled" is a term used to describe masters that have virtually no dynamic range as the waveform literally fills the screen when viewed on pc type software but is easily audible - it simply sound brutal!. The RHCP Californication album being a perfect example of this hateful pratice. I pulled the image below from the net. Original on top with remaster below.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:What's Brickwalled Dave?

I am in the same situation Maciej. want to get rid of them before they become potentially worthless. Hopefully I could raise enough money to buy 30 sheets of emi paper!
Top tracks are brickwalled, bottom ones are the original. It is increasing loudness and limiting peaks thereby having it playback louder but losing dynamics. Aka "the loudness wars".

HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

I think it depends of your collection a lot. You can buy popular titles for as little as 1-2 euro now (DEALZ CD section) but less popular titles tend to be still expensive.

Just before Christmas I bought for my friend CD album of Wedding Present Ukrainski Vistupi V Johna Peela. While you can buy Vinyl for as little as 1 euro the CD version, and it was not the first original BBC edition was very hard to find and it was as expensive as brand new well recorded current album of some regarded musician.
I was rather talking about this sort of music and not titles you can find on CDWorld or similar shelves.

As previously thought about the vinyl after CD was born that the black records era is finished, 30 years later the vinyl popularity is reborn. Perhaps there is way of improving somehow the quality of sound from CD (I know what was told-it’s definitive NOT but....)
Otherwise I will have another (tapes) massive pile of audio data storage device that will only gather dust.

Cheers