MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: MQN

Post by cvrle59 »

jesuscheung wrote:
Aleg wrote:
What you call good focus, I would call lack of soundstage. All the sound is so much dead centered it is almost mono. Something I don't like at all and is very unnatural when you know what the instrumental setup is on stage. Instruments right on top of each other or guitar right on top of the vocals instead of just off to the side.
Aleg, don't fall in love with soundstage you hear on a windows setup. i doubt it is any correct. i can easily tell you 20 things (outside of mqn) that affect soundstage on windows. you cannot be sure the external factors have correct influence on soundstage. for example, your clockrate whatever it is (23220?!), already distorts soundstage coz it is not totally in syn between mqn and your dac hehe

if you have spent sometimes tweaking rather than using convenience audiophile script, you will realize soundstage is very unstable on windows.

i know your speakers can produce correct soundstage. doesn't mean it can correct incorrect soundstage. incorrect soundstage is worse than no soundstage in my opinion.
people seem easily to confuse 3D effects with natural 3D.
JC,
I probably missed it, sorry, but I am wondering what DAC and equipment in general you use to listen the music?
Cheers!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

what if i say realtek + monster?
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

jesuscheung wrote:what if i say realtek + monster?
I could be damn, but it doesn't tell me a lot, sorry.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

I have a curious problem.

I have never managed to get any sound from MQn when using it on my office computer. That is a Windows 7 Ultimate machine with an i5 processor.
It has both an onboard sound card, an ESI Juli@ and an RME Fireface UCX USB soundcard.

With any other player I can playback on any of the sound devices, but with MQn no sound ever.

With mqnload it will load a track and start playback, but on none of the devices in the Control Panel nor in the RME Mixer is any input signal visible.
I change sound devices by designating them as the default playback device, but nothing happens.

I used wasapi_test to check on the wasapi capabilities of all the devices and they are OK.

Does anyone have a bright idea where to look for a solution to this problem, as I want to use MQn in my office too?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

jesuscheung wrote:uploaded 2.2.zip

NOTE:
a. modded the PE of the old mqn.exe.
b. modified the original mqn.bat. load one song at a time. so, killing mqn.exe will go to next song
c. removed the sorting. so the order of files you copied is the order the songs will be played.

download here:
https://drive.google.com/?usp=folder&au ... 0plZTNGd0E

1. unzip the zip file. (all you need is in the zip)
2. ctrl+C the music files as usual.
3. double click "mqn.bat" to play
4. double click "next song.bat" to go to the next song

original old mqn is found here. if you need compare the difference between mod and original
http://rapidshare.com/share/A71A4BE156D ... D83EA732AA
http://rapidshare.com/share/B7B7CB22CCB ... 352C660CFE

enjoy the classic!

thx sbgk
I have tried your mod - sounds kinda mellow IMO. It's OK but for me 2.73 448 intel raw background is unbeatable.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
tony

Post by tony »

John Dot wrote: I have tried your mod - sounds kinda mellow IMO. It's OK but for me 2.73 448 intel raw background is unbeatable.
Find that generally I am using 2.73 448 intel raw background also. To me it would seem the best.
I am struggling at this stage to see any major improvements in the latest versions which might be down to the limits of my system components or my ears. But I very happy with what I am getting.

I have got left behind in the PPang-usb card/cables race and also the sandpaper or emi paper stuff. Haven't even tried to figure out the picoless route. When the weather abates and our glorious sunshine comes back again like last year hope to have a few sessions to compare a fully charged/tweaked zuma to where I am at.
Being honest there are too many posts and tweaks to go through for clarity a 1-50 list is needed. I can't remember which JC ones I tried.

Aleg then comes in with Accourate software which I don't get. It costs nearly as much as the dac I currently have. But it interests me more than the paper as I feel it might deliver something tangible. When I have time I will download the trial version.

Whatever about the people in it from the start but god help anybody who tries to catch up from scratch now
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Is someone prepared to try daphile, took me 15 mins to get up and running ?

http://www.daphile.com/#overview

squeezelite version

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.uLADqG5ufQ/d ... x86_64.iso

one of the MQn testers says it's the best thing he's heard, I though it was a bit strident, but others may like it.

It's a really neat idea, anyway.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ok will try tomorrow
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I downloaded Daphile, but just never got a chance to try it out yet..... looks useful, but don't know if its better than a squeezebox?
Do or do not, there is no try
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

John Dot wrote:I have tried your mod - sounds kinda mellow IMO. It's OK but for me 2.73 448 intel raw background is unbeatable.
yes 2.73 raw sounds good. raw version is rich, but digitally enhanced i think. coz you can detect lose of air because of richer sound. compare raw vs non-raw. or compare to a CD player.
2.20 mod is thin with untuned OS.
after OS is well-tuned, 2.20 mod gets richer. treble has layers. makes sound rich but airy kept. (new version is unable to do this)

old mqn is very good at picking up weak sound signals too! no one notices yet?! that's also why i post some old mqn.