What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Mahler: Symphony No 2 'Resurrection'
Simon Rattle/ CBSO

I think that is a very fine and powerful performance Jared.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Hofmann: Five Symphonies....

I have always found this disc to contain some very pleasant and agreeable music.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Simon Rattle/ CBSO

Fergus, it's just had it's 2nd listen through, and I'd have to agree with you... its certainly stronger than the others I've heard from him..

I'm now back on my final run throught Symphs 1,4,5 with Maazel... then onwards and upwards through the Mahler order... I'm off on hols tomorrow AM, when I come back, I'll hopefully have been considerably better immersed in his music...
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Simon Rattle/ CBSO

Fergus, it's just had it's 2nd listen through, and I'd have to agree with you... its certainly stronger than the others I've heard from him..

I'm now back on my final run throught Symphs 1,4,5 with Maazel... then onwards and upwards through the Mahler order... I'm off on hols tomorrow AM, when I come back, I'll hopefully have been considerably better immersed in his music...
I got Rattle's M10 with the Bournemouth SO on LP in the early 80s. It was my first M10 and I was very impressed with it. I got his M2 on LP when it came out and I thought it was stupendous. Later I got his M4 (pretty good) and his M7 (BAL recommendation, but very disappointing: I wasn't aware of the whole British Mahler thing at that stage!). Rattle and I seem to have drifted apart since then, though I did get his Berlin Phil M10, and I think that's pretty solid, too. I have a weakness for new M10s.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 199 'Mein Herze schwimmt im Blut' (Midori Suzuki/Masaaki Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan, BIS)

Schubert - Symphony No.9 'Great' (John Eliot Gardiner, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, DG) below

Vivaldi - 'L'estro armonico' Concerto No.1-No.6 (Simon Standage/Elizabeth Wilcock/Micaela Comberti/Miles Golding/Jaap ter Linden/Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert, Archiv)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 8

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Georg Solti conducting

After last night's wonderful Mahler 8 Prom concert I just couldn't resist listening to the Solti/CSO recording, it's splendid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Anton Bruckner
Symphony No. 6

New Philharmonia Orchestra
Otto Klemperer conducting

This was my first Bruckner recording and I was greatly impressed with it when I bought it, it is my favourite version of the Sixth.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Schubert - Symphony No.9 'Great' (John Eliot Gardiner, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, DG) below
Do you like that recording Darren?
Jared

Post by Jared »

Sean, that's a fabulous evening's music you've treated yourself to... :-))

I'm now signing out (of both sites) for the next nine days... but am taking my three Mahler boxsets with me, so I'll let you know how I get on, on about 27/28th July...

take care, everyone...