Turntable Cartridges

Adrian

Turntable Cartridges

Post by Adrian »

Well, I am currently using a Sumiko Blue point N°2, high output MC, well regarded etc pic below...

Even though my Sumiko BP2 has many hours left on it...I am thinking of looking around for a possible change in the next few months.

In the course of a few conversations... one cartridge has been recommended... the Denon DL103R pic below

I did a quick scan on ebay... and while it is possible to "attempt to buy" a 103R for 255 euro or so... I discovered that at least 3 ebay sellers don't have the item in stock at all... despite the fact that they are saying they are selling it. All three came back with the excuse "Sorry we don't have this in stock at the moment". They most probably never had the cart in stock. A message to a 4th seller was not replied to.

It would appear that to obtain a seller who actually has a 103R... one has to go higher up the price chain to around 400 euro (inc postage and paypal conversion fees etc)

Anyway... any users on the forum who have this cart, or have heard it? If so, what are your impressions of the 103R, and what other carts could give it a serious "run for it's money". Better value to be had elsewhere.........?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Turntable Cartridges

Post by Fran »

I heard a modified one recently and was well impressed. Zu audio in the USA sell them - I think it might well be worth springing for the upgraded one. Some others do one in a wood body too....

I can recommend bent micro - I'm on my second one and like it a lot. Will your phonostage take the low output my?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Fran,

Yes I have heard very good reviews of the Benz carts... in particular the Ruby.. however it's a bit out of my league..

If my memory is correct my phono will go to 100 ohms. I heard a Clearaudio Discovery recently... now that was good.

I'll check out the Zu cart you mentioned... I'm just getting some ideas from others who have suggestions at the moment.

Zu Audio seem to really like the 103 cart
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The one I have is their "Wood SL" - and I can highly recommend it. Tracks very well, not too low an output and very refined throughout the range. I also have a Zyx R50 which is more "neutral" and a little lower output. A good second choice.

BTW, feel free to call in if you want to hear either...

Fran
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

At $1600 you can bet your last life it's good... looks beautiful as well. Apparently they can be traded in against future upgrades, a bit like a fraternity! All part of the package!! But again, unfortunately a bit out of my league pricewise at the moment.... but if I was to save up for several months etc... it's possible.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well my story is that several years back I bought a wood L from a guy in the states. Eventually it wore out, and I contacted Benz to see about a retip etc. They came back with a report on the cart - they could rebuild it for 500 or give me a new SL for 600. Essentially a 600 trade in price which I thought was pretty good. Still a significant spend (for me anyway) but haven't regretted it a bit.

From the day I contacted them to the day I got the new cart was about 10 days. A rebuild probably would have taken another week or so on top of that.

But as you say its a big investment.

Jaysus I just went to have a look and the Zyx cart is $1k - I think I only paid about 300-400 for mine.

I saw a few denon DL103r on amazon

Fran
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

hi you can see the german tonearm maker thomas schick on youtube taking apart a denon 103 and putting on one of the wooden bodies on it i think the r in 103 r meens rubber i could be wrong
there should be a few of these about 2nd hand
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It would appear that the DL 103 was a very successful cartridge... with derivatives such as the 103SA, 103M, 103R, Zu Audio 103 and relatively recently the DL A100 which is a 100 year Anniversary edition, I think there might have been a few other derivatives as well.

The 103R apparently has 6 nines copper purity in the windings etc.

I'm just curious of what other forum members opinion is of various MC carts, not just Denon.

Thanks for the input chaps...
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Hi Adrian,

There's an interesting conversation re the Denon103 here... http://www.stereophile.com/content/denon-103-vs-103r-1

You may be able to have a listen at hifihut.ie

Best,

Terry
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

there is a hifi shop in enniskillen called ardhowen audio he has the benz cartridges