Mains Cable R Us....

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
cybot

Re: Mains Cable R Us....

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:
cybot wrote:
By the way Claus, any particular reason why you went for the Lapp?
I just found it cheapish and the reports seem very good and on par with the Belden…. I got it off a German dealer but with shipping I am not sure I end up saving a huge amount making these up myself. I just like the process and I can make the lengths that suits….. :)
That makes perfect sense. Do let us know how you get on....
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Claus, I found that as I improved [or what I consider improved] my system, it appeared to get less compressed sonically and more 'natural'. And actually less loud but more dynamic if that makes any sense. Where before my listening "loudness level" was 30 on my player, it is now 35 for the same perceived volume! I got a significant improvement by getting an electrician friend to install 3 * 2.5 twin & earth plus a seperate earth wire from a dedicated MCB to a Russ Andrews SuperSocket in my music room. The SuperSocket connections just about accepted the 3 * 2.5 wires, hence using three. I had hoped to use 2 * 2.5 T&E plus 2 * 1.5 T&E but in a quick test we found they would not fit. Very well worth the effort and investment.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

cybot wrote:
HiFiFan wrote:..................

By the way what kind of differences are we talking about here? If it's of the hard super etched type then I'm definitely not interested. I had that experience with one type of power cord where everything tightened up too much and left the system sounding neutral but very sterile! No thanks!!!

Finally what is one supposed to do with the drain wire, as used on the Lapp and Belden cables? Connect it at the plug end only or.......what?
It is difficult for me to state exactly what kind of differences we are talking about. Nothing too dramatic, just better overall in a number of areas. Here is the most definitive thing I can say:
I had the power cords in our system for about 2 weeks , with some other new equipment, and overall we were just really enjoying the system. I had to pack up the demo cords which I did without telling my wife. I replaced them with a different set of power cables and later that night we started to listen to music. Immediately my wife said “what has happened to the system it sounds wrong”. We listened to a few songs just to be sure and she was right, it did. Just sounded more closed in and less dynamic. I thought it might have been because I had unplugged the amps earlier, up to then they had been running 24/7. As I test, I changed back out the power cords and everything was back to the way it was.

Regarding your question on the drain wire I believe you should connect it to earth on the plug side but not on the IEC side. But double check this answer.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

HiFiFan wrote: Regarding your question on the drain wire I believe you should connect it to earth on the plug side but not on the IEC side. But double check this answer.
This rings a bell alright.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for your reply HIFIFan. The wife is more important to hi fi upgrades than we give them credit for :)

And yes both you and Ivor are correct about the drain wire; Drain all that sh#t out ;)
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thanks Tom! Very encouraging. I hope it will get rid of some of the hum problems I have as well. Should I supply the electrician with good screened cable as well?
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Claus wrote:Thanks Tom! Very encouraging. I hope it will get rid of some of the hum problems I have as well. Should I supply the electrician with good screened cable as well?
No idea Claus, standard wiring is used for our music room socket.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

there is another company called the missing link who do a great range of silver plated items for the diy minded -they also do a silver plating service say if you had a wattgate iec 320 plug they can get it silver plated some of you cleaver forum members could get the link up
cybot

Post by cybot »

giant haystacks wrote:there is another company called the missing link who do a great range of silver plated items for the diy minded -they also do a silver plating service say if you had a wattgate iec 320 plug they can get it silver plated some of you cleaver forum members could get the link up

Thanks for that GH! Will have a good browse later....

http://www.the-missing-link.net/
Claus

Post by Claus »

Here is my DIY effort with the Lapp mains cable:

I joined the screen with earth at one end:

Tried to tidy with a bit of heat shrink:

Very tight fit in the M&K plug, so had to cut some of the strain relief off:

Finished result with "OEM" Oyaide plug:

I am not sure if there is any sonic improvement. I will get around to some serious testing next week maybe.