Help with Linn LP 12

Thor

Help with Linn LP 12

Post by Thor »

Hi there.

I'm wondering if any kind soul out there can help me out.

I have an LP-12 with Rega RB300 tone arm and a Linn Adikt cartridge.

The Adikt is about 9 years old and the whole tone arm/cartridge set-up seems to be way out of line so that the cartridge is pushing down too hard on the record.

So I'm looking to buy a replacement cartridge - on a viciously tight budget - and have somebody fit it for me and align the tone arm.

Not seeking hifi perfection just a basic set up to allow me to play my vinyl again.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance

Conor.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Help with Linn LP 12

Post by Fran »

I'd suggest giving "bod" on this forum a pm - and cloneys can probably help also.

Depending on your phono stage i can recommend the Denon DL110 or 160 as very good value for money. I believe the Ortofon 2m is also very good.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Hi Conor,

I believe 'hifi hut' (hifihut.ie) in Dublin are Linn dealers and I see they have your cartridge available at a shade under €500. They may be able to advise on the condition and set up of what you have. Failing that, give us more detail and we (fellow LP12 users) may be able to advise.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Thor

Post by Thor »

Many thanks for the suggestions gents.

The Ortofon at around 100 quid looks just the ticket.

Might just buy that and then figure out the fitting part afterwards.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

FWIW - the setup is very important on any deck, and especially so on an LP12. I really think its worthwhile getting it set up right. A well set up LP12 with a low end cart will sound infinitely better than a poorly set up one with a top end cart...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Thor

Post by Thor »

Fran wrote:FWIW - the setup is very important on any deck, and especially so on an LP12. I really think its worthwhile getting it set up right. A well set up LP12 with a low end cart will sound infinitely better than a poorly set up one with a top end cart...

Fran
Will bear that in mind Fran, thanks!
patrick

Post by patrick »

hi .
i suggest to spend €100 on a cartridge for a Linn lp12 is like putting remoulds on a ferrari . It does not do the machine justice. Your old cartridge if not broken is a better option and a few quid getting the lp12 serviced is money well spent . Cloney is the best available in ireland . if you wait until you can afford a more compatible cartridge at around the €400 to €600 (mm to mc ) you will not regret it and you will hear how a lp12 is supposed to sound .perhaps patience might result in an lp12 worth listening to . good luck
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Conor,

You mentioned your Adikt cartridge is nine years old. What condition is it in? If it's low mileage and hasn't had a knock, it may just need to set up correctly.

Terry
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Conor, I'd strongly recommend Cloney's. Recently bought a new stylus for an Ortofon 510 there, which Noel very kindly fitted to my Linn Axis. He went to a lot of trouble to check out the TT and arm. It hasn't sounded as good in several years.

Good luck with your LP12.

Nigel.
Keep Doing The Fun Stuff.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Thanks again for all the help folks.

Rang hifihut today - very helpful but looking at 300 quid for a replacement stylus for my Adikt, fitted, which is way over my budget.

Going to ring Cloney tomorrow and see if Noel can do anything for me.

Will store the Adikt away safely and then replace the stylus when funds permit.