What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 211 'Kaffee-Kantate' (Emma Kirkby/Rogers Covey-Crump/David Thomas/Christopher Hogwood, The Academy of Ancient Music, L'Oiseau-Lyre) below

Shostakovich - String Quartet No.6 (The Shostakovich Quartet, Regis)

Sibelius - Symphony No.6 (Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, DG)

Darren, welcome to Tír Na HiFi, the Land of HiFi. It's good to have you with us.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Oooh, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that recording.
Go for it Seán....I have three versions and Hogwood would be a very good second choice after my favoured.....guess?!?!?!?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 211 'Kaffee-Kantate' (Emma Kirkby/Rogers Covey-Crump/David Thomas/Christopher Hogwood, The Academy of Ancient Music, L'Oiseau-Lyre) below

Shostakovich - String Quartet No.6 (The Shostakovich Quartet, Regis)

Sibelius - Symphony No.6 (Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, DG)

What a very pleasant surprise....I am delighted that you have joined our small but very enthusiastic community Darren!!!
Post often and participate as much as you can.
fergus

Post by fergus »

RVW – A Sea Symphony....

My immediate reaction to this version was that it was a considerably more successful listening experience than that of my Boult version. However, I will have to do a back to back listen to both of them to establish exactly why I preferred the Haitink so much more than the Boult.

FAO Seán....in relation to this particular work Seán your term Yawn Williams very much applied here (but only here my friend) when I heard the Boult version. This Haitink version has very much changed my opinion I enjoyed it that much!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:My immediate reaction to this [Haitink) version was that it was a considerably more successful listening experience than that of my Boult version. However, I will have to do a back to back listen to both of them to establish exactly why I preferred the Haitink so much more than the Boult.

FAO Seán....in relation to this particular work Seán your term Yawn Williams very much applied here (but only here my friend) when I heard the Boult version. This Haitink version has very much changed my opinion I enjoyed it that much!!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it, well it is Haitink I suppose. That said I think that I will leave the music of Mr Williams way down the bottom of my "wish list" for now at any rate.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

After listening to Cluyten's Beethoven 5 & 7, I settled down to listen to Sibelius:

Jean Sibelius
Karelia Suite, Op.11
Scènes historiques, Set I, Op.25

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra/Neeme Järvi

Athenarnes sång (Song of the Athenians), Op.31 No.3
Lahti Boys� Choir � Helsinki University Chorus
Lahti Symphony Orchestra/Osmo Vänskä

Tulen synty (The Origin of Fire), Op.32
Tommi Hakala, baritone � Helsinki University Chorus

Vapautettu kuningatar (The Captive Queen), Op.48
Dominante Choir

Rakastava for strings, timpani and triangle, Op.14
Andante festivo, JS34b
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 140 'Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme' (Julia Kleiter/Kurt Streit/Anton Scharinger/Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Arnold Schoenberg Chor/Concentus musicus Wien, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi)

Beethoven - String Quartet No.16 (Takacs Quartet, Decca) below

Sibelius - Symphony No.4 (Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Image
How do you find that set Darren?
I only have one cycle of the Beethoven String Quartets which I must admit I have not listened to in a while.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have concluded my Toscanini odyssey with the wonderful performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony....

The first movement was a Grand affair: a bold statement full of intensity. The second movement never got over excited and was always under control but still exciting. Trepidation over how the beautiful slow movement would be treated was quickly dispelled. This was a languid, beautifully rich-toned performance. All of the drive, energy and power returns in the opening bars of the final movement and yet the control over the performance is most notable, letting the movement flow but never letting it descend into a frenzy of excitement. I also liked all of the soloists and the choir was full-blooded and they sang with gusto and conviction.
This was a wonderful performance!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

bombasticDarren wrote: Beethoven - String Quartet No.16 (Takacs Quartet, Decca)
I'm a huge admirer of the Takacs Quartet. Those Hungarians can certainly play! (not that I'm biased or anything! ;-)
Their cycle of the Bartok String Quartets I find challenging sometimes but hugely rewarding.

bombasticDarren, I think I recognise your username from CMG. I'm a member there but I rarely post.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP