MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: MQN

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:
sima66 wrote:I guess that Gordon's "quiet time" was worth it! ;-)
Till now 80% of the time I listened with 2.71 Intel raw and 20% with 1024 sw, depending on the recordings.
Most of the times the versions are just "different" then better, that's why we come up with different opinions.

This time, it's the biggest step forward! It was never easier for me to chose. It's 2.71 Intel Time 1 and after that five empty spaces.....nothing close!
It's so controlled and clean, the separation like never before, 3D more pronounced, the details..........simply put I LOVE IT!!!

It does not play 16/44 (only Hi-Rez). I don't know if is the same "mistake" like with the first 1024's, but even like this I'm happy (did I already said that?!).

Thanks again Sbgk and welcome back.
the latest 8 + 0 is an even greater step up in staging and detail, I'm surprised myself at how much detail there is now, maybe not the finished article, but getting there.

are you on 8.1 ? that might be the issue if you are still on win 8
Yes, still on W8, still waiting to install R2 on CF!
8+0 I will define in this way: "Extremely clean, detailed DIGITAL sound"! Needs a bit more body. In my opinion is more clean and less harsh than Time 1, but also more digital, can't listen to long.
Again, this is just my opinion.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

I've been listening to Time 1 also. I haven't downloaded 8-0 yet but Time 1 is very, very enjoyable. Really clean and analogue sounding.

I am on W8.1 and it plays 16/44 files perfectly.

Shall try 8-0 today.

Glad to see you back Gordon.
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sima66 wrote:
sbgk wrote:
sima66 wrote:I guess that Gordon's "quiet time" was worth it! ;-)
Till now 80% of the time I listened with 2.71 Intel raw and 20% with 1024 sw, depending on the recordings.
Most of the times the versions are just "different" then better, that's why we come up with different opinions.

This time, it's the biggest step forward! It was never easier for me to chose. It's 2.71 Intel Time 1 and after that five empty spaces.....nothing close!
It's so controlled and clean, the separation like never before, 3D more pronounced, the details..........simply put I LOVE IT!!!

It does not play 16/44 (only Hi-Rez). I don't know if is the same "mistake" like with the first 1024's, but even like this I'm happy (did I already said that?!).

Thanks again Sbgk and welcome back.
the latest 8 + 0 is an even greater step up in staging and detail, I'm surprised myself at how much detail there is now, maybe not the finished article, but getting there.

are you on 8.1 ? that might be the issue if you are still on win 8
Yes, still on W8, still waiting to install R2 on CF!
8+0 I will define in this way: "Extremely clean, detailed DIGITAL sound"! Needs a bit more body. In my opinion is more clean and less harsh than Time 1, but also more digital, can't listen to long.
Again, this is just my opinion.
thought 8 + 0 would crash on win8

have uploaded 2.71 1024 raw background + get normal

backtracked on the mods that increased the digital noise, but along the way found 2 optimisations to the render loop that improve detail, so this is the same as time 1 but with 1 instruction moved position in the render loop, it serves 2 purposes hence 2 optimisations.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

2.71 1024 raw background + get normal is very good, the music just burbles along, very good vocals and incidental sounds, maybe not as analogue sounding as previous versions, but then there is more detail so maybe the analogue sound was more of a mush. On the other hand, if someone said listen to this high end turntable and this was the sound produced then I could quite believe it, it has that turntable like drive.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

been playing with the mmcss registry settings for pro audio

frequency of 23200 ie 1024/44100

background only set to True - previously had this as False, but read something that said if False then it adjusts only when it gets focus in the foreground, MQn runs in the background so doesn't apply, sounds better as well when set to True

Scheduling Category High and priority 8 (says it defaults to 2 if set to 8, but I can't understand how the thread gets set so high (25/26) if that's the case).

And something I've just discovered, on my win 2012 r2 laptop there is a new entry called low latency, what's this ? Well it has an entry called Latency Sensitive, that sounds interesting, exactly what we want with music playback. So I added it into Pro Audio (as a string value) and set it to True and what do you know a nice uplift in SQ, better bass and just an overall improvement. Haven't seen it documented, nice one MS.

the price of the turntable just went up by £1000

edit - the low latency mmcss profile has medium scheduling category and 6 for priority so trying that in pro audio to see if it improves the SQ.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:been playing with the mmcss registry settings for pro audio

background only set to True - previously had this as False, but read something that said if False then it adjusts only when it gets focus in the foreground, MQn runs in the background so doesn't apply, sounds better as well when set to True

Scheduling Category High and priority 8 (says it defaults to 2 if set to 8, but I can't understand how the thread gets set so high (25/26) if that's the case).

And something I've just discovered, on my win 2012 r2 laptop there is a new entry called low latency, what's this ? Well it has an entry called Latency Sensitive, that sounds interesting, exactly what we want with music playback. So I added it into Pro Audio (as a string value) and set it to True and what do you know a nice uplift in SQ, better bass and just an overall improvement. Haven't seen it documented, nice one MS.

edit - the low latency mmcss profile has medium scheduling category and 6 for priority so trying that in pro audio to see if it improves the SQ.
What are we to add into the proaudio reg settings?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:been playing with the mmcss registry settings for pro audio

What are we to add into the proaudio reg settings?
a string value called Latency Sensitive

set it to True

try the background only True and scheduling category Medium and priority 6 as well.

Here is the Low Latency mmcss profile

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Low Latency]
"Scheduling Category"="Medium"
"GPU Priority"=dword:00000008
"Affinity"=dword:00000000
"Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
"SFIO Priority"="Normal"
"Priority"=dword:00000006
"Background Only"="True"
"Latency Sensitive"="True"

so want to add Latency Sensitive (=True) to pro audio and change scheduling category to Medium and Priority to 6
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

SBGK -

Should the string be titled "Latency Sensitive" or "LatencySensitive" (w/ or without the space)? Sorry, possibly dumb question.

Also, any idea if that tweak works outside of Win 2012 r2?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

internethandle wrote:SBGK -

Should the string be titled "Latency Sensitive" or "LatencySensitive" (w/ or without the space)? Sorry, possibly dumb question.

Also, any idea if that tweak works outside of Win 2012 r2?
as per the extract from the registry above it is called Latency Sensitive ie one space

It is on my 8.1 laptop as well, that's all I know - haven't seen it documented

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

still trying to get the best clock rate for MMCSS pro audio profile

10000 (the default) sounds pretty bad
23220 = 1024/44100 sounds ok, think this is the minimum it should be.
tried 2322 and think I could hear the effect on the sound of the increased frequency, anyway sounded artificially detailed
trying it set to 0, sounds ok, don't know mmcss interprets this value, but sounds different to 1.

It's annoying that it makes such a big difference to the SQ