Mains Cable R Us....

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
cybot

Mains Cable R Us....

Post by cybot »

Haven't enjoyed reading a web site for ages. My head is busting with ideas ;) Anybody here have any experience of their products.....

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/content/4-about-us
HiFiFan

Re: Mains Cable R Us....

Post by HiFiFan »

I was never a believer in audiophile power cords but hedged my bet by building the equivalent of the DH Labs Power Plus AC cords myself using their bulk cable and entry level WattGate connectors. I also have a whole house electrical surge protector and noise filtration installed at our circuit breaker. Until recently all my components were powered through a set of these DH Labs based cables. I also built my own Shunyata Hydra (+++) strip/conditioner using hospital grade and deep immersion cryo treated, special order un- plated version outlets which I got from porterhouseaudio, all wiring and internal cabling used VHAudio flavor 4. I never did a comparison of these vs. anything stock and was just happy thinking well it can’t be hurting anything and in the big scheme of things didn’t cost too much.

Anyway recently I have had the opportunity to try a few different power cords and I have been shocked by how much improvement I heard when using one particular cable. I never thought I would be but I am now a believer. These were the Lessloss DFPC signature power cords (I have since bought three). I had 2 surprises
1> That power cords could actually make a big difference
2> That of the 4 cords I tried the one that came closest to the DFPC signature was my own DH Labs based ones (though they were a somewhat poor 2nd)

I guess to answer your question. I am not familiar with the website you mention but am with many of the products listed. There is good quality stuff there and in my experience you could possibly get small but nice improvements to you system at a reasonable price if you follow up with some of your ideas.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
cybot

Post by cybot »

HiFiFan wrote:I was never a believer in audiophile power cords but hedged my bet by building the equivalent of the DH Labs Power Plus AC cords myself using their bulk cable and entry level WattGate connectors. I also have a whole house electrical surge protector and noise filtration installed at our circuit breaker. Until recently all my components were powered through a set of these DH Labs based cables. I also built my own Shunyata Hydra (+++) strip/conditioner using hospital grade and deep immersion cryo treated, special order un- plated version outlets which I got from porterhouseaudio, all wiring and internal cabling used VHAudio flavor 4. I never did a comparison of these vs. anything stock and was just happy thinking well it can’t be hurting anything and in the big scheme of things didn’t cost too much.

Anyway recently I have had the opportunity to try a few different power cords and I have been shocked by how much improvement I heard when using one particular cable. I never thought I would be but I am now a believer. These were the Lessloss DFPC signature power cords (I have since bought three). I had 2 surprises
1> That power cords could actually make a big difference
2> That of the 4 cords I tried the one that came closest to the DFPC signature was my own DH Labs based ones (though they were a somewhat poor 2nd)

I guess to answer your question. I am not familiar with the website you mention but am with many of the products listed. There is good quality stuff there and in my experience you could possibly get small but nice improvements to you system at a reasonable price if you follow up with some of your ideas.
Thank you for taking the time to convert a non-believer! Yes, you're right there is good quality stuff there and I'm particularly enamoured with their very obvious enthusiasm for the products. Plus they really seem to know what they are talking about. My Christmas stocking is bulging already :)

By the way what kind of differences are we talking about here? If it's of the hard super etched type then I'm definitely not interested. I had that experience with one type of power cord where everything tightened up too much and left the system sounding neutral but very sterile! No thanks!!!

Finally what is one supposed to do with the drain wire, as used on the Lapp and Belden cables? Connect it at the plug end only or.......what?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I know the site well. I bought a DIY mains kit from them and made up about 4 good length mains cables - slightly better than entry level mains cables and at a fraction of the price. As my mains is already very clean this was probably overkill but it was peace of mind for very little cost plus I enjoyed the exercise. The actual cable I used is one used internally on Lavardin amps and well known in DIY circles, I'll have a quick browse and see if I can spot it.

edit: I'm pretty sure this is what I used.... http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/cabl ... able.html#
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

Strange this should come up only a day after I just ordered Lapp cable and M&K plugs from various ebay stores in order to get 3 shielded mains cables…. I know I have mains issues with my system and I have already talked to an electrician about a separate spur and earth rod. So that is definitely going to be my next upgrade…. I might post some pics if there is any interest...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:I know the site well. I bought a DIY mains kit from them and made up about 4 good length mains cables - slightly better than entry level mains cables and at a fraction of the price. As my mains is already very clean this was probably overkill but it was peace of mind for very little cost plus I enjoyed the exercise. The actual cable I used is one used internally on Lavardin amps and well known in DIY circles, I'll have a quick browse and see if I can spot it.

edit: I'm pretty sure this is what I used.... http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/cabl ... able.html#
Thanks for that Ivor! That's exactly the cable I was thinking of trying out. It's not really for the sound quality more a bit of tidying up and because I'm impressed with the sheer quality of the set. If the sound improves it'll be a bonus :) What about the drain wire?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:Strange this should come up only a day after I just ordered Lapp cable and M&K plugs from various ebay stores in order to get 3 shielded mains cables…. I know I have mains issues with my system and I have already talked to an electrician about a separate spur and earth rod. So that is definitely going to be my next upgrade…. I might post some pics if there is any interest...
That is another brand I was thinking of going for. They do a terrific deal (£10) for a 1 and half meter set including plugs etc Don't like the look of the Lapp so I was thinking of getting some braided sleeves to cover it which they sell too :) Ah I love the site :)

By the way Claus, any particular reason why you went for the Lapp?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote: What about the drain wire?
I think I sent it to the earth pin. Honestly forget what I did with it now but I asked an adult at the time.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

cybot wrote:
Claus wrote:Strange this should come up only a day after I just ordered Lapp cable and M&K plugs from various ebay stores in order to get 3 shielded mains cables…. I know I have mains issues with my system and I have already talked to an electrician about a separate spur and earth rod. So that is definitely going to be my next upgrade…. I might post some pics if there is any interest...
That is another brand I was thinking of going for. They do a terrific deal (£10) for a 1 and half meter set including plugs etc Don't like the look of the Lapp so I was thinking of getting some braided sleeves to cover it which they sell too :) Ah I love the site :)

By the way Claus, any particular reason why you went for the Lapp?
I just found it cheapish and the reports seem very good and on par with the Belden…. I got it off a German dealer but with shipping I am not sure I end up saving a huge amount making these up myself. I just like the process and I can make the lengths that suits….. :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote: What about the drain wire?
I think I sent it to the earth pin. Honestly forget what I did with it now but I asked an adult at the time.
I think you're right. That's exactly what you do. Something about creating a Faraday cage. God bless him : )