USB Cables, worth it ?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: USB Cables, worth it ?

Post by Aleg »

Peter

What Tony means is to get a Sandisk Cruzer USB3 and install WindowsServer onto that Sandisk USB

There should be some references floating about on what specific Sandisk to get (this one installs on windows as a disk and not as a removable device) so you can install onto that and there are also some links to sites that explain how to perform the install process.

By having the OS on a UsB stick you can easily change OS without having to touch your main installation on SSD or HDD.

Several of us do it like this.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

USB are like capacitors - yes, they may make a difference depending on the application but you may be better off considering a way to avoid them altogether. The saying goes the best cap is no cap, I think the same applies to usb cables. If possible consider a setup where the dac can be connected to the computer with the shortest possible usb cable, preferably a simple adapter. Why spend hundreds of dollars on something if it can be eliminated altogether? Personally I would rather spend money on a pc/dac that could be connected as close as possible than the usb cable. You will hear a pronounced improvement IMO, not unlike removing caps from the signal path.
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

wushuliu wrote:If possible consider a setup where the dac can be connected to the computer with the shortest possible usb cable, preferably a simple adapter. Why spend hundreds of dollars on something if it can be eliminated altogether? Personally I would rather spend money on a pc/dac that could be connected as close as possible than the usb cable. You will hear a pronounced improvement IMO, not unlike removing caps from the signal path.
Like Streamer ? (Just joshing), John tried a kind of direct adapter, but methinks it's too fiddly. I understand what you meant, though!
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
tony

Post by tony »

The adapters work fine especially when using a laptop but I had issues using them on my rack as the connection is now at the back and it meant precariously balancing the dac at the back. I also had a tendency at that point to turn off the dac after each listen and also plug out charger. Many times i forgot to do one and ended up depleting the battery.
Also connection lost when fiddling at the back with various usb operating sticks made a cable a requirement. My experience with the TZ usb cable makes me want to go back to the connectors and see if they give a more balanced sound.

I really think usb cables should be some of the last things you start tweaking. Personally I have done so much changing and testing this year that I have got to the point of just wanting to live with the set up as is for a period.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: Personally I have done so much changing and testing this year that I have got to the point of just wanting to live with the set up as is for a period.
You are wise beyond your years....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote:
tony wrote: Personally I have done so much changing and testing this year that I have got to the point of just wanting to live with the set up as is for a period.
You are wise beyond your years....
Thanks Grandad
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I take it the TZ USB cable is not on the favourites list Tony....maybe need to take those tweeters down again :-))
Did you try the iUSB on the music drive yet or is all testing cancelled for the holidays....I am with you on that one!!
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

Tony

Dont think anyone believes you when you say your changing nothing more :):)

Anyway
back in the world of things getting more complicated....
we have pure silver usb cable mark 2 with copper shielding
there is at least a half a hair of improvement with the copper shield (doubt its the new suit)
now we have a rfi can of worms which i was avoiding till recently

Anyway this is the best sounding cable ive made so far

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Pearse I haven't given up on the TZ yet I need to live with it and compare with my other assortment before deciding. I am a little concerned that the jeuschenberg tweaks I have done which I have no recollection or record of what I changed maybe playing a part. The poor maligned supertweeters are paranoid now. Any time somebody walks into the room they wince and cower expecting to be dumped on the ground again.

Nigel look like any alcoholic one always advises that the love of dwink is over while continuing to consume. I expect one of those lovely blue cables to wing its way by santa to dublin for xmas. The colour alone I am sure lifts transients and bass definition to previously unattainable heights.

Life was so much simpler a few years ago. One laptop a few cheapo usb connectors and just the odd hiccup from the JKDAC32 driver to deal with.
Now multiple batteries/linear supplies/usb operating systems and still the requirement to get sata cables/usb cards and sandpaper for the insides of the pc.
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

Peter Stockwell wrote: My question wasn't specific enough, I'd seen those two, and was considedering them, but in the end I'm trying this as a reference :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters- ... able-p6859

and I'm going to see if this A&B systems cable, with separate runs for data and DC, is better :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-B-SYSTEMS-Ter ... 3a83df5b7c

I didn't try pfm, because of the foo fighters. Thought I'd get a civilised answer here.
Rats, I think it is better! Now, how can that be possible ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5