USB Cables, worth it ?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Peter Stockwell

USB Cables, worth it ?

Post by Peter Stockwell »

I can get Furutech Formula 2 for 40€ and GT2 for 95€ locally (www.audiophonics.fr)

Any experience out there ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
tony

Re: USB Cables, worth it ?

Post by tony »

No takers here Peter try PFM? Don't think anybody is using those cables. PPang, Wireworld, Audioquest and cheapo's are ones I am familar with i.e have heard some and know people who have them.
The latest PPang cables certainly look well made. Can't comment on whether they do anything as I haven't heard them for long enough
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Peter Stockwell

tony wrote:No takers here Peter try PFM? Don't think anybody is using those cables. PPang, Wireworld, Audioquest and cheapo's are ones I am familar with i.e have heard some and know people who have them.
The latest PPang cables certainly look well made. Can't comment on whether they do anything as I haven't heard them for long enough
My question wasn't specific enough, I'd seen those two, and was considedering them, but in the end I'm trying this as a reference :

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters- ... able-p6859

and I'm going to see if this A&B systems cable, with separate runs for data and DC, is better :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-B-SYSTEMS-Ter ... 3a83df5b7c

I didn't try pfm, because of the foo fighters. Thought I'd get a civilised answer here.
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Peter

I'm not familiar with any of the USB-cables you mention, but I'm very happy with my JCat USB ( http://jplay.eu/jcat/ ). This JCat is an improved upon PPA cable made by Paul Pang himself based on specifications from the JPlay developers.

And all I can say is USB-cables do make a difference.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Peter Stockwell

Aleg wrote:I'm very happy with my JCat USB ( http://jplay.eu/jcat/ ). This JCat is an improved upon PPA cable made by Paul Pang himself based on specifications from the JPlay developers.
300€ is a bit rich for a usb cable, unless, of course, it made an uncontestable leap forward sound quality wise, I'd pay that for an analogue interconnect, so why not a "data" cable ?

I changed my 2m printer usb cable to the 50cm Lindy Chromo usb player. I'm not much for endless back'n'forthing with updates. In general, I put something in the system and see how I get on. I felt I gained in silence. Now waiting for the A&B cale to come, which could take a week or 6 since it's coming from Honkers.

My feeling is that I really need to break my lethargy and get WinServer installed, I still haven't done it. Don't want to break anything, or actally have to play CDs whilst I fix it!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

€300 might sound a bit rich, but when you know it can compete with a Locus Design Nucleus of $1500, it is a steal :-)

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Funny this topic came up
i made this cable up tonight
its made up of silver plated copper teflon coated wire

i was delighted the way it turned out visually
its awful shame its the sound that counts
the cable i made previous sounds better,more detail and more dynamic
silver plated sounds more "coppery" than i like
its pure silver litz cable
maybe burn in is a factor

maybe i should try the jcat
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Struggle with paying €300 for a usb cable. Prefer to wait and get them secondhand when the serial upgraders go for version 2. Hopefully at that point I will have identified the right one to pick
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Peter Stockwell wrote:
Aleg wrote:I'm very happy with my JCat USB ( http://jplay.eu/jcat/ ). This JCat is an improved upon PPA cable made by Paul Pang himself based on specifications from the JPlay developers.
300€ is a bit rich for a usb cable, unless, of course, it made an uncontestable leap forward sound quality wise, I'd pay that for an analogue interconnect, so why not a "data" cable ?

I changed my 2m printer usb cable to the 50cm Lindy Chromo usb player. I'm not much for endless back'n'forthing with updates. In general, I put something in the system and see how I get on. I felt I gained in silence. Now waiting for the A&B cale to come, which could take a week or 6 since it's coming from Honkers.

My feeling is that I really need to break my lethargy and get WinServer installed, I still haven't done it. Don't want to break anything, or actally have to play CDs whilst I fix it!
Peter just get a sandisk usb key at least then you are not interfering with your current set up. £20 will be the cost
Peter Stockwell

Nice work!

I just when fanless on my NUC, I think that made an improvement, nothing dramatic, just more of better.
I think that basic Lindy Cable at 10€ is much better than a basic 1,8m "printer" usb cable, but in reality only subtle gains.

However, listening to Enrico Rava's "Tati" album I think I've got closer to the way drums and cymbals sound live,
I go to jazz concerts regularly, and I'm always saying to myself "I wish I could get that sound at home",
of course I can't do anywhere near scale and volume in a block of flats!

@ Tony : Winserver iso on a 32Gb thumbdriver for weeks, it's sitting on the desk staring at me :)