MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
internethandle

Re: MQN

Post by internethandle »

internethandle wrote:
tanopereira wrote:What I mean is that only the one called exactly "mqnplay.exe 2.71 1024" works under Windows 7. All the rest of the 2.71 1024 series do not work as they require specific instructions of the Windows 8 audio kernel.
Ah, thanks very much, that's all I needed! Works fine now.
Ok, definitely a convert now. Have never been a JPlayer (when it went into two PC's I couldn't be bothered on top of the expense of the player), but have long used a stripped down foobar setup with a cMP shell and a heavily modded/stripped Win 7 as well as various hardware tweaks (SOtM products, Alan Maher tweaks, ADuM4160 isolators, RMI/EFI paper, Vibrapods etc.) for my audio PC. While I still am a bit torn about MQn vs. my regular setup in my reference headphone rig, MQn has just undoubtedly breathed life back into an older desktop powered monitor rig that was sounding far too thin/lifeless with the foobar setup after a slew of tweaks in the past year. Just no comparison.
Last edited by internethandle on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

double post
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

In something not-so-related, I'm going through this thread slowly from the beginning and noticed jesuscheung's post way back on page 28 (see here, bottom of page: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2418&start=270) which contained the text for a batch file full of bcdedit (boot manager) edits, which I'm familiar with already, as well as some registry tweaks that I was not, created by someone called "JIE." After some searching I've gathered "JIE" is another coder in China making his own WAV-only player with a bit of a following, but he seems pretty mum about what exactly he's doing (even SBGK posted a warning about him on head-fi...) relative to SBGK. I would just run his batch file, and use regedit to see what it has done, but the batch file just gives me errors saying that the "file cannot be found" or some such in cmd. Anyway, in the following section that looks like this:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\mqnplay.exe" /v "DisableExceptionChainValidation" /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f >nul
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\foobar2000 uac.exe" /v "DisableExceptionChainValidation" /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f >nul
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\foobar2000.exe" /v "DisableExceptionChainValidation" /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f >nul
Can someone confirm for me that the batch file is making keys for each of the registry paths in quotes, then creating a new REG_DWORD with a hex value of "3"? I'm pretty familiar with using regedit, but not reading or creating batch files. If it is indeed making the DWORD value "3" I'm pretty puzzled - I've searched all of Google and can only find instructions for naming the DWORD "0" or "1" for enable/disable of a Windows security feature commonly referred to with the acronym "SEHOP." Does JC or anyone else have any idea why it would be advantageous to set it to "3"? I'm assuming this would make it "manual" but that isn't how all registry values work.

Sorry for the aside, I just enjoy tweaking.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

updated that tweak on tweak 13.

if you bother to check into the registry, OS uses the value 3 as well. no idea why.

i am more interested if you report the effect on SQ. bad or good. stop asking questions without trying hehe
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Uploaded (mod)mqn.exe2.2, mqn.bat

rename to mqn.exe and use the old mqn.bat.

modded the exe's PE. more mellow, more air.

this is classic MQn. the most bassy version. bass is in the air. any sound in the air is revealed.
best for live rock/metal/bass.

https://drive.google.com/?usp=folder&au ... 1h4OEVnN2c

enjoy!
tony

Post by tony »

internethandle wrote:
internethandle wrote:
tanopereira wrote:What I mean is that only the one called exactly "mqnplay.exe 2.71 1024" works under Windows 7. All the rest of the 2.71 1024 series do not work as they require specific instructions of the Windows 8 audio kernel.
Ah, thanks very much, that's all I needed! Works fine now.
Ok, definitely a convert now. Have never been a JPlayer (when it went into two PC's I couldn't be bothered on top of the expense of the player), but have long used a stripped down foobar setup with a cMP shell and a heavily modded/stripped Win 7 as well as various hardware tweaks (SOtM products, Alan Maher tweaks, ADuM4160 isolators, RMI/EFI paper, Vibrapods etc.) for my audio PC. While I still am a bit torn about MQn vs. my regular setup in my reference headphone rig, MQn has just undoubtedly breathed life back into an older desktop powered monitor rig that was sounding far too thin/lifeless with the foobar setup after a slew of tweaks in the past year. Just no comparison.
Welcome aboard I think a lot of us are currently on exhaustion leave after a lot of months constant testing. Never heard of Alan Maher tweaks or ADuM4160 isolators nearly afraid to ask what they are about!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:Uploaded (mod)mqn.exe2.2, mqn.bat

rename to mqn.exe and use the old mqn.bat.

modded the exe's PE. more mellow, more air.

this is classic MQn. the most bassy version. bass is in the air. any sound in the air is revealed.
best for live rock/metal/bass.

https://drive.google.com/?usp=folder&au ... 1h4OEVnN2c

enjoy!
care to share what you did ?

Oh, and next time, you ask permission before altering someone else's program.

Kindly remove it from your google drive.

it is quite clearly stated on the blog what the terms of use are

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... deed.en_GB

specifically

No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

you've overstepped the mark, I'm done with you.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Fair is fair guys, please no disrespecting of others work/IP ok?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

Anyway good to see SBGK is still here.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
tanopereira

Post by tanopereira »

He's back, and with 3 new versions!
Shame about the IP thing...

Anyhow sbgk, can you explain what the changes in the "2.71 time" series are?

Keep up the great job!