MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
internethandle

Re: MQN

Post by internethandle »

Need some newbie help here:

So I've downloaded a variety of mqnplay.exe's centered around 1024, including intel rb 1024 sb, sd, sw, raw, and raw background. I have also downloaded both the newest official and beta releases of mqnload.exe. I have tried the following mqncontrol.exe's: 4 core affinity v2, no affinity v2, 2 core affinity v2, and 2 core 1024. I have downloaded the ffmpeg.exe as instructed from FFmpeg git-f86387b 64-bit Static and placed it into a "codecs" sub-folder along with everything else in a primary folder on C:\ ("c:\MQn"). When I press F9 or double-click mqnload.exe however, after I have copied some mp3's to clipboard, mqnload takes time converting the mp3's to WAV, loads a cmd prompt with mqncontrol, and I get the following error msg:

"The insturciton at 0x770ee4b4 referenced memory at 0x00000024. The memory could not be written.

Click on OK to terminate the program."

I also get no sound. If I click "OK" mqnload remains open in a cmd window.

I am using Win 7 64-Bit Ultimate, 8GB DDR3 RAM, i7-870 CPU, USB DAC.

I assume that MQn by default uses the playback device set as the "default device" in Windows, correct?

Anyway would appreciate some help to get MQn actually running. I'm pretty sure I'm just being a bonehead. Thanks.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

An update: I can get it running with any of sse4 versions of mqnplay.exe - do the 1024 versions not work because of my processor?

Also, some aspects of MQn fly in the face of what I understand to be fundamentals of computer audio:

1) MQn is installed on my OS drive, but my music is on a separate drive. Would it not be preferable to have MQn on the non-OS drive to minimize the noise from OS tasks during playback?
2) MQNLoad creates WAV files and places them in a self-generated "Temp" file - I've always been taught that you should never start playback on a drive unless it is defragmented before playback. If you're creating files on the fly, sort of defeats the purpose.

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding what the point of a separate media drive is in a program like MQn.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Internethandle

You are using the 1024 version of mqncontrol with the 1024 versions of mqnplay?

You can't mix and match 1024-versions and non-1024 versions of these two programs.

Wrt. On the fly conversion. MQN only plays wav files, taggart created an mqnload add-on program that can do conversions from different formats. You don't have too use mqnload, just convert the files yourself to wav and use the mqn.bat to start playback.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Aleg wrote:Internethandle

You can't mix and match 1024-versions and non-1024 versions of these two programs.

Wrt. On the fly conversion. MQN only plays wav files, taggart created an mqnload add-on program that can do conversions from different formats. You don't have too use mqnload, just convert the files yourself to wav and use the mqn.bat to start playback.

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg,

Thanks for the response:

I have tried the only version of mqncontrol I see in MQN Files under the Google Drive link that is listed as 1024 - "mqncontrol.exe 2 core 1024" - using it with any of the 1024 versions of mqnplay produces the same error I listed above.
taggart

Post by taggart »

internethandle,
mqncontrol/mqnplay can only handle wav files. Therefore it is nessesary that mqnload first converts the files to wav - there is no way to directly pass mp3 or flac files directly to mqnplay.
But, like Aleg mentioned, if you have wav files, no conversion is needed and the files are loaded from their original location (temp subdirectory stays empty). Mqnload handles wav files in the same way mqn.bat does.
Christoph
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Got to try mqnload its fab
now i can play my mp3's, which sound pretty good till i try flacs and wavs
wav still the favorite though

thanks taggart for this wonderful gift
have an odd missfire but its a beta

internethandle
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tw9i3e9dkky9j6q/Qe7aL08-jF
in there is a folder called mqnload test it will show you the layout for the mqn directory
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tanopereira

Post by tanopereira »

internethandle wrote:
Aleg wrote:Internethandle

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg,

Thanks for the response:

I have tried the only version of mqncontrol I see in MQN Files under the Google Drive link that is listed as 1024 - "mqncontrol.exe 2 core 1024" - using it with any of the 1024 versions of mqnplay produces the same error I listed above.
The only 1024 version that works under Windows 7 is 2.71 1024, all the rest work only under Windows 8.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

tanopereira wrote: The only 1024 version that works under Windows 7 is 2.71 1024, all the rest work only under Windows 8.
Thanks for the tip but 2.71 1024 is the only version I've tried, and, indeed, the only version I see available in "MQn Files" on Google Drive. Again, I may just be daft and hope someone can help me see the light (i.e. a Win 7-compatible 1024 version series).

That is to say: I don't see any 1024 versions other than 2.71 varieties.
tanopereira

Post by tanopereira »

What I mean is that only the one called exactly "mqnplay.exe 2.71 1024" works under Windows 7. All the rest of the 2.71 1024 series do not work as they require specific instructions of the Windows 8 audio kernel.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

tanopereira wrote:What I mean is that only the one called exactly "mqnplay.exe 2.71 1024" works under Windows 7. All the rest of the 2.71 1024 series do not work as they require specific instructions of the Windows 8 audio kernel.
Ah, thanks very much, that's all I needed! Works fine now.