MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote: but doesn't the brain just construct an image of what it thinks is the correct sound with headphones. So yes, it's a totally different experience to listening via speakers, but also a more intense experience because there are likely fewer losses in the signal and volume is not a problem. I know I can hear things with my £30 headphones that the speakers don't reproduce. Maybe headphones are more like standing just in front of or in the middle of the stage.
The perceived location of sounds in space is due to the difference in timing of the same sound wave reaching each ear & also the relative loudness of that wave via each ear. These aspects relate to the primary direct sound. Room reflections also become important aspects of sound stage perception.

None of these factors will be available via headphones
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

J Irling just reminded me that the Pro Audio timer setting in the registry should be 23220 and not 46440 when using the 1024 versions, seems to work - a totally different beast with this setting.

Just as nice a sound, but clarity and detail much improved, hopefully that's it.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sbgk wrote:J Irling just reminded me that the Pro Audio timer setting in the registry should be 23220 and not 46440 when using the 1024 versions, seems to work - a totally different beast with this setting.

Just as nice a sound, but clarity and detail much improved, hopefully that's it.
That could be my issue, that I have problem with these 1024. I will check it out tonight.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:J Irling just reminded me that the Pro Audio timer setting in the registry should be 23220 and not 46440 when using the 1024 versions, seems to work - a totally different beast with this setting.

Gordon this is just wonderful.
I was still running the default 10000, but did change timmerresolution to 2ms with buffer of 8ms.

But now with clock-rate of 22230 another leap forward in clarity and detail as you said.
This has to be the ultimate.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I installed the RAMDisk last night and first impression was woow..... less harshness and cleaner sound. When I copied MQn on the RAMDisk the effect doubled.
BUT,........ after 2-3 songs my ears start to bleed! The sound looks cleaner, but it's more flat, no bass and no air, very fatique! Going back to SSD was more relaxing and pleasant.
I never read anything bad about the RAMDisk and with its speed I expected improvement in the sound quality, but did not happen in my case!

It might be system dependent, or somebody else will like, in any case it's free and might be worth to try.

Just my two cents!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

I was still running the default 10000, but did change timmerresolution to 2ms with buffer of 8ms.

But now with clock-rate of 22230 another leap forward in clarity and detail as you said.

Cheers

Aleg
wait till you try 23220, lol

what buffer is 8ms ? That seems a large buffer.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sima66 wrote:I installed the RAMDisk last night and first impression was woow..... less harshness and cleaner sound. When I copied MQn on the RAMDisk the effect doubled.
BUT,........ after 2-3 songs my ears start to bleed! The sound looks cleaner, but it's more flat, no bass and no air, very fatique! Going back to SSD was more relaxing and pleasant.
I never read anything bad about the RAMDisk and with its speed I expected improvement in the sound quality, but did not happen in my case!

It might be system dependent, or somebody else will like, in any case it's free and might be worth to try.

Just my two cents!
might depend on how much ram you have, how big the ram disk is and how much your music took up. sounds like your system was under stress. The O/S needs several GB of ram as well to be happy.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Cheers

Aleg
wait till you try 23220, lol

what buffer is 8ms ? That seems a large buffer.
Crooked fingers, but I will check if they were less crooked when changing the registry.

The 8 ms is driver buffer . JC recommend a whole multiple of TimerResolution for driver buffer, and I found it an improvement. More relaxed while maintaining detail. I have not yet experimented with lower multiples. But it was an improvement over 1ms/1ms which was sounding a bit strained like it had to work hard to keep up but just managed.

Cheers
Aleg

PS
Just checked, my fingers were OK when changing registry: 23220 it is.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:
sima66 wrote:I installed the RAMDisk last night and first impression was woow..... less harshness and cleaner sound. When I copied MQn on the RAMDisk the effect doubled.

Just my two cents!
might depend on how much ram you have, how big the ram disk is and how much your music took up. sounds like your system was under stress. The O/S needs several GB of ram as well to be happy.
I have 8Gb of RAM and I used 4Gb for RAMDisk. I was thinking to try to use only 2Gb for RAMDisk, but again, isn't 4Gb enough for dedicated PC, where is nothing else on it?!
I only had 2-3 songs on the RAMDisk and two versions of MQn.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Reduced buffersize to 4 and then to 2.

Each step gave some more vibration in the sound. So now running a Timerresolution 2ms and Driver buffersize 2 ms.

Cheers

Aleg