MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: MQN

Post by tony »

Do other music players work ok? Have you tried reinstalling MQn ie do the downloads again
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Ryelands wrote:I get a continuous spitting noise in the background and very poor SQ.
If you're a sex pistols fan then that is good news.

try playpcmwin player https://code.google.com/p/bitspersample ... ayPcmWinEn
Last edited by sbgk on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote: uploaded the sd, sw, sb versions again - problem was just with 16/44.1 which explains why some could play ok.
back to using 1024 raw background, it's just nice to listen to, warms the cockles, so it does.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

My PC will finally be back up and running by the weekend so at last I'll get a chance to try MQN. If a reduction in noise really is the key behind the MQN improvments then I'm not so sure if I'd notice as my PC has a lot of cards and high speed stuff going on. Electrically, it might be just too noisy as it is. I could disable 2 of the graphics cards I suppose.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

DaveF wrote:My PC will finally be back up and running by the weekend so at last I'll get a chance to try MQN. If a reduction in noise really is the key behind the MQN improvments then I'm not so sure if I'd notice as my PC has a lot of cards and high speed stuff going on. Electrically, it might be just too noisy as it is. I could disable 2 of the graphics cards I suppose.
it's important to fast for 24 hours and abstain from conjugal relationships before listening to MQn for the first time as the difference is largely spiritual in nature.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:took out an additional 3 earphones (from $30 to $150) to test the soundstage. .....

JC,
as I said you need speaker to comment on soundstage, not earphones/headphones.
Otherwise I can't take your comments on soundstage serious. Music recordings aren't made to be listened to over head-/earphones.

LOL :-)

Aleg
the stereo effect is largely due to how the brain interprets the difference in sound between the speakers, can't it do the same for headphones ?

Gordon

I'm just teasing JC, but fact is mastering engineers create the sound stage in a recording by listening to studio monitors and not by listening to headphones.
So the sound stage on the recording is created by listening to sound in free space, with the reception of the sound of the left speaker by the right ear and vise versa.

Because head-/earphones don't allow this cross over of left speaker to right ear and v.v. you cannot hear what the mastering engineer heared while mastering the recording.

So that's why I'm a little bit weary and skeptical about judging sound stage with head-/earphones.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Yes and headphones are far less reliable in terms of judging original intent because their frequency response are so messy.
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
sebna

Post by sebna »

I have a day off today so I thought maybe it is good time to properly try the MQN. So I did. What can I say, I was supposed to be testing but I tried one version, and 2h later :D I managed somehow to force myself to stop listening to try other version which was even better then the first one so another 4h later I am typing this message :D

Very good job sbgk. I am listening on non-adio PC atm which is not optimized in compare to my audio-pc and it already seems to be sounding much better then jmini in hibernation. Certainty it is much less fatiguing then jmini.

I have tested only two versions so far but I prefer by some margin 2.71 v2 to 2.71 1024 which I found a bit slow and blurry in compare to v2 on my system.

I am using mqncontrol v2 4 core affinity (is this the newest version for 4 cores?).

In the instructions PDF there is info about changing registry setting - is it still applicable?

Thanks,
seb
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

wushuliu wrote:Yes and headphones are far less reliable in terms of judging original intent because their frequency response are so messy.
but doesn't the brain just construct an image of what it thinks is the correct sound with headphones. So yes, it's a totally different experience to listening via speakers, but also a more intense experience because there are likely fewer losses in the signal and volume is not a problem. I know I can hear things with my £30 headphones that the speakers don't reproduce. Maybe headphones are more like standing just in front of or in the middle of the stage.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sebna wrote:I have a day off today so I thought maybe it is good time to properly try the MQN. So I did. What can I say, I was supposed to be testing but I tried one version, and 2h later :D I managed somehow to force myself to stop listening to try other version which was even better then the first one so another 4h later I am typing this message :D

Very good job sbgk. I am listening on non-adio PC atm which is not optimized in compare to my audio-pc and it already seems to be sounding much better then jmini in hibernation. Certainty it is much less fatiguing then jmini.

I have tested only two versions so far but I prefer by some margin 2.71 v2 to 2.71 1024 which I found a bit slow and blurry in compare to v2 on my system.

I am using mqncontrol v2 4 core affinity (is this the newest version for 4 cores?).

In the instructions PDF there is info about changing registry setting - is it still applicable?

Thanks,
seb
yes, I don't expect jplay have improved the jplay mini memory play, but that is what causes the fatigue. You would think they would have looked at everything that influences the sound, but sometimes genius is blind to it's own faults.

I use 1024 raw background, the sd version of that is the raw backgrounf equivalent of v2.

registry settings still stand I think, just don't do the background setting in mmcss settings.