MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

wushuliu wrote:
sbgk wrote:
jkeny wrote:The latest 3 1024 versions don't play on my laptop (Win 8 but not 8.1) but previous 1024s did & all SSE2 versions did.
the aim is to make the raw and category settings configurable (so it can work with 8), but for audio reasons alone you should upgrade to 8.1.
Same as jkeny but I am using 8.1. The previous 2.71s work fine, but not today's.
uploaded the sd, sw, sb versions again - problem was just with 16/44.1 which explains why some could play ok.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

wushuliu wrote:Two questions:

Is .NET still necessary for MQN?

Does it matter if system is optimized for Programs or Background Services (like jplay)?
are you getting .net error messages ? if not don't bother with it.

I have it set to background. ie 18
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:
jkeny wrote:The latest 3 1024 versions don't play on my laptop (Win 8 but not 8.1) but previous 1024s did & all SSE2 versions did.
and using R1, same as win8, all sb, sd and sw work for me.

the goal is 3D/soundstage now?

-all 3 versions need more 3D.
-not sure we are going for multi-focus or single-focus stage. raw background is quite multi-focus.
-need bigger width in soundstage. soundstage is currently muddy in positionings.
just experimenting with these versions to see if there is any improvement, how does it compare to 1024 raw background ?
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

took out an additional 3 earphones (from $30 to $150) to test the soundstage. they all sound different...hmm... i am unable to make judgements on the new MQn. soundstage is a difficult one. it either sounds just right or wrong i think.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:took out an additional 3 earphones (from $30 to $150) to test the soundstage. .....

JC,
as I said you need speaker to comment on soundstage, not earphones/headphones.
Otherwise I can't take your comments on soundstage serious. Music recordings aren't made to be listened to over head-/earphones.

LOL :-)

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:took out an additional 3 earphones (from $30 to $150) to test the soundstage. .....

JC,
Otherwise I can't take your comments on soundstage serious. Music recordings aren't made to be listened to over head-/earphones.

Aleg
agree with you again. i have just confirmed your great insight with testing.
taggart

Post by taggart »

MQnLoad 0.9.13.1106 beta

FIX: First configuration of context menu entries works now (path of mqnload was not written correctly to registry before)
UPD: Quick Start Guide updated
ADD: Configurable Hotkeys

MQnLoad has generally no problem with the most special characters (è, ä, ü etc.). But there are some characters that are not written correctly to Files.txt and therefore music cannot be played. One known character causing this problem is "Œ". Currently there is no solution for the problem, because it seams to be a bug in the compiler I'm using.

If you already have an older version in use, it must just be overwritten by new mqnload.exe.
Then double click on new mqnload.exe once. This will bring up the options dialog. Make your selections if needed, confirm by click on OK (even if no options were changed) and you're ready to go with the new version.

Download: http://bit.ly/1is4g1J
Please read the contained Quick Start Guide!
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

JC,

Aleg
the stereo effect is largely due to how the brain interprets the difference in sound between the speakers, can't it do the same for headphones ?
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Unless you record using binaural technique, you don't get the same stereo effect on headphones.

The issue is the big lump of bone and squidgy stuff that stops sound from e.g. left channel reaching the right ear and vice versa.

I don't have much between my ears but it still blocks.

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
Ryelands

Post by Ryelands »

My first post here - I'm hoping to trespass on your hospitality and get some help. I'm a cMP2 veteran just starting to experiment with MQn, which is most impressive.

With help from jrling, I soon had MQn running under Win Server 2012 R2 on an i3/Asus mobo w 8GB RAM. The sound was excellent but I did something daft at some point and had to re-install Win Server. Now, nothing I do can make it work properly - I get a continuous spitting noise in the background and very poor SQ.

MQn plays fine on a Win 8.1 setup and CDex plays fine on the Win Server setup so I'm guessing an MQn/Server issue. But I'm running out of ideas - has anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks . . .

Dave