What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Indeed you did Fergus, Goodman is splendid in Haydn. It was quite an enjoyable afternoon actually and now you know why I love my vinyl version of Szell's M4, Vanska's Beethoven and Vanska's Sibelius too. [wink]
On all counts Seán....most definitely!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart/Beethoven – Quintets for Piano and Wind Instruments....

....includes some lovely, sparkling music.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique played by ORR/Gardiner....

I think that this is a really fine work and so very innovative when one considers that it was first performed in 1830!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: It was quite an enjoyable afternoon actually and now you know why I love my vinyl version of Szell's M4, Vanska's Beethoven and Vanska's Sibelius too.
BTW Seán please do not forget to send me a PM with the details of the book that I was interested in.
Thanks in advance my friend!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique played by the Philharmonia Orchestra/Cluytens....

I really enjoyed this version.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: It was quite an enjoyable afternoon actually and now you know why I love my vinyl version of Szell's M4, Vanska's Beethoven and Vanska's Sibelius too.
BTW Seán please do not forget to send me a PM with the details of the book that I was interested in.
Thanks in advance my friend!
PM sent.
Oh we should mention that you were very impressed with the Miles Davis/Gil Evans recording of Rodrigo's music on the Sketches of Spain album too, this could be your first Jazz acquisition?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Oh we should mention that you were very impressed with the Miles Davis/Gil Evans recording of Rodrigo's music on the Sketches of Spain album too, this could be your first Jazz acquisition?
Yes, I had forgotten that and it certainly was very different to what I am used to hearing in that work.
Thanks for the PM!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven’s Symphonies 7 & 8 with Toscanini/NBCSO....

No. 7 is played with great energy and gusto; one is carried along on those wonderful themes with a great sense of exhilaration and excitement and is left almost breathless at the conclusion of the work. Wonderful stuff!!
No. 8 is played with the same gusto and zest and the rollercoaster ride continues unabated!
Seán

Post by Seán »

In celebration of the birth of the great Gustav Mahler I listened to one of my favourite conductors direct my favourite Mahler orchestra in my favourite Mahler Symphony, his number five:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony no 5

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Claudio Abbado conducting
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique played by the Philharmonia Orchestra/Cluytens....

I really enjoyed this version.
Oh, I'm tempted, sorely tempted to get it. Symphonie Fantastique is one of my favourite symphones of all time.