headfi/headphone/hifi meet up?

Fran
Site Admin

Re: headfi/headphone/hifi meet up?

Post by Fran »

Yeah, this was a great day out. There was a good turn out for the first run, and like others have said:

MASSIVE THANKS TO CLONEYS & SENNHEISER!!

They not only gave us their upstairs room, but provided coffee on tap all day, supplied sennheiser amps and headphones (incl those HD800 - yum), along wiht a very convivial atmosphere. Huge kudos and thanks to you guys!

On to the stuff on show:

Paddy (magiccabbage) brought his wooaudio WA6 (I think) amp - see in the pic below) a beautiful piece of kit, and beyerdynamic T1 which I thought were lovely. I brought some of my own homemade stuff, a valve HPA, my own k701s and HD650s, couple of dacs and a shigaclone transport. I think the woo was running off a PC - but I'm not sure what the dac was.

One very interesting thing: I've been banging on before about the k701s needing the right amp to drive them. So I compared my k701 (well run in) with the HD800 (new out of box) using my own amp. The HD800 edged this out, but not by much (i.e. not much difference between the 2 headphones). But on the Woo amp, there was a massive difference with the HD800 much better.

The moral of the story is to make sure your amp matches the k701 if you are thinking of buying one.

FWIW, the HD800 was so far ahead of my HD650 that it wasn't funny. I didn't really believe the hype about them, but they really are fantastic. We missed out on having the hifiman headphones there, but there's always next time!!

Pics:

IMAG0678 by francis morrin, on Flickr

A motley crew - with scary eyes for halloween!

IMAG0680 by francis morrin, on Flickr

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Looks like its bigger brother wooaudio WA2 http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, sorry it was indeed the wa2.

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Bump for the CD that someone left behind!!
Is anyone missing CD album of Jazz trio MOZDZER, DANIELSSON, FRESCO ,,The Time’’?

Fran
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Bump for the CD that someone left behind!!
The CD would me mine. Big thanks to Maciej for finding it. I already sent him a PM.

Thanks guys for a great time on Sat.
F
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Fredyrck, Did you bring your coffin sized Headphone Amp? BTW what minimalist music player are you using?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

tony wrote:Hi Fredyrck, Did you bring your coffin sized Headphone Amp? BTW what minimalist music player are you using?
Hi Tony,

Unfortunately the headamp still needs some work. But the good news is, that the finish line is close. Plus, I need to make it 'transportable' :)

In terms of the player it is something I wrote myself. Very similar concept as MQN: load the file into the memory and copy it into the sound card buffer, except it is not as sophisticated as MQN and is for Linux. Mostly based on the 'aplay' utility source code.

F