Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Finally found the service that MQN needs to be running in Scott's script when applied to Server 2012 R2, guess it should also work for all Server versions.

I have not had time to go back and forth to see if there is much of an improvement but I do know that it works and shuts down lots of unnecessary services, gets rid of swap file and other optimisations.
I have run it after switching to minimal mode in Server 2012 R2 with no issues. There is another script to reset you install back to how it was before running the script.

Anyone new to this looking to try it google Computer Audio Design or go here for some guidance.
http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/Wind ... 20V2_1.pdf

Script files are below on dropbox, save to your drive and double click on optimisation file and answer all prompts as required, Make sure to answer yes to leaving WASAPI and the rest I went yes apart from No for Firewire which I do not use.
As usual no comebacks if it goes wrong, as with most of this stuff it generally does not go wrong most of the time but if you do mess up make sure you have an image of your OS or at least a recovery point!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/349 ... sation.zip

I made another edit to Scott's script today 19 Oct 2013 and replaced the original in the dropbox link.
The turn off screen after 1 minute was causing issues with MQN on my system with HiRez file playback due the action of the screen disable which was kicking back in once causing sound breakup, rather than find what was kicking it back in and messing with HiRez playback I set the script to leave the screen on all the time. I just ran the optimiser script again to make this change. All OK now on HiRez playback. Cheers, Pearse.
may have to avoid with a VHD
has it worked with usb pearse (which one)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks again Pearse, for this link.
Since you have CF drive with PPA adapterfor OS, i'm running in this problem while trying to install the 2012 R2: "We couldn't create a new partition.(Error:0x8007045d)."
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? :-(

Best,
Adam
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:Thanks again Pearse, for this link.
Since you have CF drive with PPA adapterfor OS, i'm running in this problem while trying to install the 2012 R2: "We couldn't create a new partition.(Error:0x8007045d)."
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? :-(

Best,
Adam

have cleaned and created your partition with diskpart in command prompt (admin)
then use imagex
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Hi Nige, Not sure if I have tried it on a USB Wintogo os yet, I have the 2012 R2 preview on a stick so I might try it on this and see if it works.

Hi Adam, I read that doing the install was very troublesome on the SD drive so I have always either installed to an existing drive then created an image of this and loaded on the SD drive.
Lately I have been using the guide below to install to the SD Drive by connecting it on my AV PC to a spare sata socket.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/53 ... -disk.html
Make sure to use "wim 2" in step 5 foe a GUI install and change to IDE instead of AHCI in the bios for the CD SATA drive.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

http://agnipulse.com/2012/11/windows-to ... ndows-7-8/

i use this but you need to start right and clean and partition right
then it doesn't really matter which way you get it installed

we start with the following in command prompt with administrator privileges.

diskpart
list disk
sélect disk 1 (or whichever is the cf card its size gb will give you a guide)

Clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
active
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks Guys,

I give it the CF to my friend to try fresh and I will pass this suggestions to him.
I could not even imagine this much trouble!!!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

got a couple more off these 16gb sticks
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/390461064094?ssP ... 1439.l2649

i notice these two are showing up as a local drive rather than a removable drive which means the virtual hard drive partition isnt necessary and faster installs

anyone else see this?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Discovered that myself the hard way Nige, both mine were the same and drove me mad with Win7 USB/DVD tool as you can no longer pick them up as removable media on this tool anymore. Seems like it is impossible to convert them to removable media either once you purchase them like this.
Should be a warning for those looking to use them for loading ISO's but they work fine for me using Imagex to load OS to these sticks.

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Discovered that myself the hard way Nige, both mine were the same and drove me mad with Win7 USB/DVD tool as you can no longer pick them up as removable media on this tool anymore. Seems like it is impossible to convert them to removable media either once you purchase them like this.
Should be a warning for those looking to use them for loading ISO's but they work fine for me using Imagex to load OS to these sticks.
really so the usb/dvd tool doesnt want to create an installer on a local drive,
did you find a work around?

i use this tool to install everything with or without a VHD its very fast

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp01fclax8jkw ... p2_x64.exe
tony

Post by tony »

Thats the one you linked to me ages ago Nigel? If so it works well for me as well.

I think one of my installs worked out that way also Nigel i.e not a vhd. Have 2 on the slow boat from hong kong so will report back when I try R2 on them
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.