MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN

Post by jkeny »

jkeny wrote: Anyone who has ever used a bench supply ALONE to power their computer will see the current draw spikes that happen even when you just move the mouse on the screen - it's a surprising high current spike. Opening/closing windows (with a small m), everything causes current draws. It would be interesting to have a table of current usage Vs windows actions/activities.
What that shows me is that even the simplest of actions in Windows (moving a mouse) can cause a lot of activity under the hood (as signified by the current spike). It just makes me pause about equating cause with effect in a complex OS although I doubt using the current draw on a bench supply could reveal differences between code changes in MQN
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Clive

Post by Clive »

jkeny wrote:
jkeny wrote: Anyone who has ever used a bench supply ALONE to power their computer will see the current draw spikes that happen even when you just move the mouse on the screen - it's a surprising high current spike. Opening/closing windows (with a small m), everything causes current draws. It would be interesting to have a table of current usage Vs windows actions/activities.
What that shows me is that even the simplest of actions in Windows (moving a mouse) can cause a lot of activity under the hood (as signified by the current spike). It just makes me pause about equating cause with effect in a complex OS although I doubt using the current draw on a bench supply could reveal differences between code changes in MQN
I expect what's happening is that PCs are designed to save power and especially minimise heat but you'll have thought of this already. It does show the sophistication of the systems involved and says a little about why this is all so complex.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

best to fix the cpu frequency to help stop the fluctuation of current draw
cpus are at idle until theres a load, then spikes usually between 1.6 ghz and 3.4ghz or what ever your cpu does and that can double to triple the cpu current load.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:Cvrle, be my guest. After glass or two of slivovitza everything will make more sense, everything will be much clearer! ;-)
No problem, it's easy to lure me in with slivovitza, but my ears will get even worse after "contamination", lol!
Let's stop talking about this, as we are already notified that there are more important things to be figured out here.
Sorry guys, I am off this topic, but this time for sure.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:
neither of the 2.64 versions was optimal, however I can see that intrinsics has potential, shall do an sse4 and sse2 optimal version and then we can all get back to listening to music.
uploaded 2.65 sse4 intel/sse2 intel - the optimal sse4 and sse2 intrinsic versions (according to Intel), haven't listened to them yet.

on the electrical noise topic, aren't eavesdroppers supposed to be able to read what's on pc screens by using the electrical signal generated by the screen, the pc needs to be near a window ie they can read the signal from outside the building.

if the problem is electrical noise, why not just put a load of ferrites on the usb cable ? works on mains cables. AQVOX says usb cables shouldn't have ferrites, but don't understand why not as they are passive, it's all a mystery.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote: uploaded 2.65 sse4 intel/sse2 intel - the optimal sse4 and sse2 intrinsic versions (according to Intel), haven't listened to them yet.
both sound really good, sse4 loses a bit of treble, think I know why, shall upload a v2 version.

the v2 version has a mistook, uploaded v3

The 2.65 sse4 v3 version is absolutely expletive deleted amazing, can't believe how good it is, no need to test any other version, this is the one.

May be able to improve the sse2 version, but I think that's it for sse4.
sebna

Post by sebna »

My God this thread has some growth rate ! I did not read it for 2 - 3 days and I have a back log of 40 pages ... such a shame that my audio-pc is AMD based and because of it I can only read about MQN. Well jmini and hibernate are also good companions and most important I did not hear MQN yet so I dont know what I am loosing. Now I have to keep it this way as long as I possibly can ;)
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
tony

Post by tony »

Trying out 65 sse4 intel and v2. Very good again. No harshness that I can detect just really full bodied rich sound. Need to listen more tomorrow to see if all detail still present but tone is lovely i.e warmth.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sebna wrote:My God this thread has some growth rate ! I did not read it for 2 - 3 days and I have a back log of 40 pages ... such a shame that my audio-pc is AMD based and because of it I can only read about MQN. Well jmini and hibernate are also good companions and most important I did not hear MQN yet so I dont know what I am loosing. Now I have to keep it like this as long as I can ;)
it works on AMD, I can also do an AMD compile, but it should work on AMD 64. Check with cpuz if you have sse2 or sse4.1 and select the appropriate version of MQn.

the 2.65 versions are the best
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Trying out 65 sse4 intel and v2. Very good again. No harshness that I can detect just really full bodied rich sound. Need to listen more tomorrow to see if all detail still present but tone is lovely i.e warmth.
you need 2.65 sse4 intel v3, v2 is missing a bit of treble.

had deleted v2, but have brought it back, but think it is missing some treble, well I know it is because there is a command that has that effect and when I remove it the result is v3, I don't think the command is required for music streaming - something to do with out of order execution which modern chips have, but any issues will be picked up as missing bits ie crackle.