What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:JSB Cello Suites Nos. 5 & 6 played by Rostropovich....

Rostropovich’s playing IMHO is wonderful in its quality, passion and fluidity of the performances. One sits back and admires a master musician playing very personal favourites for his own pleasure. The CD is recorded in a warm acoustic which favours the tone of the cello. I really like this set I must say as he definitely brings something different to these works.
I'm following your comments on these Cello suites with interest Fergus. I dont own many of them.
As for Rostropovich, I've found that I enjoy his playing far more than any of his conducting.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:I'm following your comments on these Cello suites with interest Fergus. I dont own many of them....
That is now my current collection in these wonderful works Dave but I do intend to purchase more. I would be interested to know who you have playing them or indeed who you would be interested in.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

A recent purchase: JSB Cantatas BWV 43, 44 & 11 (Ascension Oratorio)....

BWV11 (Ascension Oratorio) is a particularly noteworthy performance.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ superb recording, Dave..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A slower tempo than the Gardiner version which works better for me in certain passages. Still though, there isnt much to choose from between the two versions. The Herreweghe recording is a little more clearer and more subtle in the quite passages but the Gardiner has the better soloists and its faster tempi make it feel that little more energetic. Both are HIP's. Difficult to recommend one over the other imho.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has the recording by Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has the recording by Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.
I actually own the Klemperer version Dave.
The first thing that one notices after listening to JEG with the Klemperer recording is the weight of the forces used. The tone and texture of the orchestral playing is much heavier, darker and thicker yet with no loss of detail. This version means serious business in its portrayal of the powerful emotions. The music is impeccably played and the choral singing is also wonderful. The soprano, Schwarzkopf, sings radiantly but is slightly mannered, as is her way. This is a BIG performance in every way.
The Klemperer version makes a point of working on the emotion and the powerful rendition of that and it is a bit darker to me. Klemperer is also slower than Gardiner (as one might expect) but not apparently or excessively so (indeed I had to check the sleeves to confirm). It is a superb listen and I would recommend it Dave.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Over the course of the day I have listened to Beethoven’s Symphonies 1, 2, 3 & 4 with Toscanini/NBCSO....

My immediate comment on the listening so far is that one need have absolutely no concerns whatsoever regarding the sound quality of the recordings as it is very good overall. The orchestral playing is very fine indeed; wonderfully crisp and sharp. The orchestral textures are also nicely balanced between the strings, woodwinds and brass.
Toscanini’s interpretations are driven and powerful with brisk speeds; these wonderful interpretations have great power, drive and are full of life and passion while the slow movements are gently played with a lovely poise to them.

....so far, so very good.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two versions of Cantata BWV93 for the Fifth Sunday after Trinity....

Image Image
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Some very beautiful music on this disc. It certainly seems that Brahms could write some wonderful choral works.