MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote: To answer Pearse's question I think it was 2.53 but it could be as far back as 2.44.Hopefully Nigel or John can remember. Of course the date should close that down. Check start date of this thread as it was probably the version released at that time.Sbgk can advise too?

How different is the coding from that time? Pearse's view does demonstrate you need a base point to reference but I do concur with what Clive said some of the last few I listened to were getting back to Jplay area. Now can't do it tonight but maybe if I compare some of these versions to Jplay I might be eating humble pie. I think a meet up when sbgk gets through these instructions to see if a consensus could emerge comparing it to well agreed existing components. i.e Pearse's turntable and maybe Simon's wadia?

Also it is amazing to see how critical we can become when one looks how far things have moved since early jplay and one laptop.
If it was 20th Sep then one of the 2.43 releases would have been the latest & probably the one we used
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Clive wrote:Definitely swings and roundabouts between 2.60 cp and the 2.62 versions.

I notice my solid floor vibrating, or it's my shoes.....but I do have four 15" bass drivers (dipole).
the 2.62 should have more bass than 2.60, sounds like it's too much.
tony

Post by tony »

Ok it was the 19th then. Gordon are there dramatic changes since then? I can't do it tonight but will have a listen to the vintage 2.43's tomorrow evening to see if they still retain the moment of magic on that night.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Clive

Post by Clive »

sbgk wrote:
Clive wrote:Definitely swings and roundabouts between 2.60 cp and the 2.62 versions.

I notice my solid floor vibrating, or it's my shoes.....but I do have four 15" bass drivers (dipole).
I think the bass is different rather than more or less. Possibly rax is best but it needs many tracks with good bass to ferret out the truth.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Ok it was the 19th then. Gordon are there dramatic changes since then? I can't do it tonight but will have a listen to the vintage 2.43's tomorrow evening to see if they still retain the moment of magic on that night.
If it was the 19th then probably version 2.40 or 2.41, I think?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
tony wrote: To answer Pearse's question I think it was 2.53 but it could be as far back as 2.44.Hopefully Nigel or John can remember. Of course the date should close that down. Check start date of this thread as it was probably the version released at that time.Sbgk can advise too?

How different is the coding from that time? Pearse's view does demonstrate you need a base point to reference but I do concur with what Clive said some of the last few I listened to were getting back to Jplay area. Now can't do it tonight but maybe if I compare some of these versions to Jplay I might be eating humble pie. I think a meet up when sbgk gets through these instructions to see if a consensus could emerge comparing it to well agreed existing components. i.e Pearse's turntable and maybe Simon's wadia?

Also it is amazing to see how critical we can become when one looks how far things have moved since early jplay and one laptop.
If it was 20th Sep then one of the 2.43 releases would have been the latest & probably the one we used
either 2.43 or 2.43 r11

very much doubt if its better than where we are now

we need a meet see if we can get a consensus
opinions varying a lot, difficult for sbgk to get direction
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Clive wrote:
sbgk wrote:

I think the bass is different rather than more or less. Possibly rax is best but it needs many tracks with good bass to ferret out the truth.
weird im happy not to listen to 2.62 again not good,
2.62 rax might deserve more trial
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Nige Quote either 2.43 or 2.43 r11

opinions varying a lot, difficult for sbgk to get direction[/quote]

Maybe just different I know the version I listened to today that I liked using Buddy holly the vocals holographic to my wooly ears and brain. But will go back and compare 2.43 to it just to see.

A meet up is easier as there can be two dacs to allow quick ab forget about the x as we don't want to be found out!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
weird im happy not to listen to 2.62 again not good,
2.62 rax might deserve more trial
think the cp setting works. not sure about rax. am going to do a 2.61 version with cp and without rax.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

either 2.43 or 2.43 r11

opinions varying a lot, difficult for sbgk to get direction

Maybe just different I know the version I listened to today that I liked using Buddy holly the vocals holographic to my wooly ears and brain. But will go back and compare 2.43 to it just to see.

A meet up is easier as there can be two dacs to allow quick ab forget about the x as we don't want to be found out!
it was probably 2.48 onward by the time you got going tony unless you choose an old one

2.49 no buff was a milestone for me