What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image
That is a MARVELLOUS performance, highly recommended.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Peter

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:Welcome aboard Peter; it is very good to have you here and I hope that you enjoy your time here and that you post often and inspire us all!
Thanks Fergus! I feel the same as I browse through previous posts. Some very enticing pieces and information about music here!!!

P
Peter

Post by Peter »

Seán wrote:
I get the sense that many people are quite fond of Abbado as "the conductor" of the present (that is living master conductor) and his interpretations of the canon. I presume that some of you have explored the relatively recent Abbado box. Any further impressions of that collection? On a side note: how many times have Abbado recorded Mahler cycles (twice?)?

P

Peter

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:I have been revisiting a lot of my old Naxos collection lately and this Vivaldi CD is a lovely disc with some wonderful music that is well played on a variety of instruments....
Looks interesting although I have not heard it yet. I was quite impressed with Wallfisch recording Vivaldi's cello concertos with Naxos, so I suspect that this one is well worth exploring! :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Verdi: Arias, Callas/Rescigno/Philharmonia O [EMI]

I am getting a bit addicted to Callas's voice lately......

I am continuing a journey through Baroque Europe with the help of EMI's excellent compilations. Some quite interesting pieces on these two recordings which are part of a 10 cd set from EMI. It was issued on vinyl in the 60s, went OOP and is now reissued on cd. The approach was to compile composers from a geographical perspective (i.e. one gets to listen to "local" music from the time). It is a blend of wellknown and unusual pieces of music. I really enjoy them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musik-St%C3%A4d ... residenzen

Image Image
Seán

Post by Seán »

Peter wrote:
Seán wrote:
I get the sense that many people are quite fond of Abbado as "the conductor" of the present (that is living master conductor) and his interpretations of the canon. I presume that some of you have explored the relatively recent Abbado box. Any further impressions of that collection? On a side note: how many times have Abbado recorded Mahler cycles (twice?)?

P

Yes, twice but it's still work in progress.

I have several complete sets by Abbado: his 2nd Beethoven cycle, the Mendelssohn, Schubert and Tchaikovsky box sets. I have the Rossini and Verdi sets, performances of Mahler, Mozart and Stravinsky, etc; with the exception of some of the Tchaikovsky performances I find that Abbado never disappoints. There are a couple of us here who are very fond of Maestro Abbado.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Speaking of Maestro Abbado I listened earlier to his version of Rossini's Il Viaggio a Reims (on vinyl)....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Finishing up with a 2 CD set that I have been listening to again over the past couple of days; Schubert's last four string quartets played by Quartetto Italiano....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Speaking of Maestro Abbado I listened earlier to his version of Rossini's Il Viaggio a Reims (on vinyl)....

Do you like it Fergus? I have not listened to it yet as I am still engrossed in the first two operas in Maestro Abbado's four opera set: