Musical 'What If ...'

james

Musical 'What If ...'

Post by james »

I was listenning to Shostokovich Symphony No.4 last night and I could not help wonderring how his music would have developed if he had not been denounced in Pravda.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Re: Musical 'What If ...'

Post by Seán »

A very interesting topic James and thanks for starting this thread. Alas I do not know enough about Shostakovich to provide any meaningful response to your question.

I have often lamented the fact that Gustav Mahler died at a very young age and of an ailment that is easily treatable today. Had he lived for another 30 years or so who knows what he would have achieved.

I suppose the same could be said of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart although he wrote enough music for several lifetimes I suppose.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: Musical 'What If ...'

Post by fergus »

The conundrum of any "what if" is that unfortunately you will never know. We know of course what did happen and how he had to tow the Party line and how that must have affected him both personally and artistically. However, had his freedom been intact one just does not know in what direction his imagination would have run. I find his string quartets wonderful music and perhaps there are some clues in there as this is more personal music making. Interesting question though.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra