Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Gazjam wrote:This question's for those who are running the two Maplin linear PSUs...thanks.

Rebuilding my server with direct feeds from Maplins supplies to 12V Pico and 4 pin CPU.
I also have teh linear wallwart for the SSD.
For the 4 pin CPU, as there are two yellow 12v and two black GND wires, can I twist Yellow with yellow and black with black together after the 4 pin plug on the board?
yes yellow with yellow +12 black with black ground

That way, I wouldn't have to combine the two blacks and two yellows at the Maplins PSU terminals.
Two runs of cable is better than 4 back to the psu!
I know the board needs 4 separate cables to plug in, so would cut cable near the plug, twist them together and splice into cable going back to the PSU.
Much easier to have two single cables spliced into the 4 near the motherboard inside the PC.
Any concerns doing it this way?

I suppose its the same question with the connecting wire for the SSD wallwart linears?
There are two black GND cables going in to the connector.
Can I just twist them together and splice onto one cable running back into the wallwart?

Thanks!
yes again two black cables together
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Gazjam

Post by Gazjam »

Nigel,
yer a star.

Was looking through the 155 page thread for some info when I saw you answered! Phew.

Thanks much.

Gaz.
tony

Post by tony »

Gazjam wrote:Nigel,
yer a star.

Was looking through the 155 page thread for some info when I saw you answered! Phew.

Thanks much.

Gaz.

Gaz is right the thread should probably be chopped up a bit. Can't see anybody rushing to do that!
Probably a badge of honour to keep going and see how big it can become.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

probably one of those times where thought doesn't count

there would be a right bit of work in it, and im not sure theres that much interest

probably just for our own use we could do up a couple of tutorials
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Gazjam

Post by Gazjam »

+1 on that, have to say.
Noticed there was chunks of the thread dealing with a particular subject, then the next set of pages dealt with another.
Be a good way to break it up for either tutorials or stickies.

Its one of the most helpful informative threads on computer audio I've seen online.
Well done guys.
I've dabble a bit myself (Had my server reviewed well in HiFi Choice) but every day's a school day and its nice to see folk not just treading down the familiar path.
I've picked up a few tips! :)

My servers now fully linear being fed from the 2.5Kva balanced mains transformer in the other room.
Having a total system reshuffle, so still lots to do elsewhere so no listening tonight.

Have a lot of new stuff going in; server now fully linear hardwired, new output valves on the amp, new cables etc so it'll be like a different system (probably!) :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the great informative and interesting thread.

Gaz.
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Gaz nice to hear all our rumblings and worries over builds for the last year have proved useful. Are you in this jurisdiction or on the continent? Sounds like you have gone to a lot of effort as well.
At some point we need to do a variety of stickies alright. I did a core server stick document and got Nigel to add the embellishments (actually it came from Nigels instructions originally I just had to write them down because I kept forgetting the order) Will post it shortly but would ask people to improve it. I have included no pictures which probably would help a lot. Audiophils optimizer pdf is a perfect example of a professionally assembled instruction guide.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Stole some of these tweaks from Audiophil for server 2012 r1 and r2
very important especially if your not using a script

see pages 16-22

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/audi ... _guide.pdf

this worked good to prioritise for the dac mentioned above

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-t ... s-vista-7/
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Found this dc to dc converter if anyone wants to use power supplies of 16v -24v

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1042738809

good value too

we've been buying our pico's in the wrong place
rdsu

Post by rdsu »

Looks very similar to PPA ATX PSU... ;)

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/09/d ... u.html?m=1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rdsu wrote:Looks very similar to PPA ATX PSU... ;)

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/09/d ... u.html?m=1
ssshh!!!!!

google can be dangerous ;)