Music Personal to You

Seán

Re: Music Personal to You

Post by Seán »

james wrote:
fergus wrote: I must confess that I am not familiar with Honegger's work at all.
Honegger was one of 'Les Six' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_six which included Milhaud and Poulenc. Honegger was actually Swiss. His music has tunes but tends to be dissonant. [The second symphony uses the semitone interval]. He is famous for the 'overture' Pacific 231 which mimics the sound of a steam-train.

Personally I think his best symphonies are probably No. 2 and No. 5. When I first heard him he was one of the first 'modern' composers I liked. He is NOT serial. Years ago I had a record with Honneger symphony no 2 and Messiaen Et expecto ... Symphony 2 is for strings but has a trumpet in the last movement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._2_(Honegger)

james
I have had this set for nearly four years and rarely listen to it. Perhaps it's Dutoit's readings of this music that doesn't move me. I must listen to number 2 & 5 again as suggested by James.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Now this is a set that I love (I think DonKC does too), the 2 cd set is worth buying for the Symphony in F performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra under the direction of Franz Welser-Möst.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

james wrote:or symphony 2 ...

I have now given this a listen and I like it too James. Given that it is the first time that I have heard it strikes me as not being of the quality of a Richard Strauss or Mahler work but there is definitely enough there to want me to explore Honegger’s music further. I noticed during some light research into Honegger’s works that he wrote a Cello Concerto. I like my Cello Concertos and this will definitely also be explored!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

Yes, I have been a Korngold fan for ages. Had the Kempe/Munich recording of the Symphony on LP, its first ever recording. Interesting work with a melange of styles and moods that never seems too rhaposodic, it all works. The Violin Concerto is great fun as well. His film music is classic as well.

The Violin Concerto pops up now and then on programs but the Symphony is rarer. I keep asking our local maestro to program it, but so far no luck.....

The set above is a great intro to Korngold's concert hall works.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Dear friends (for those who remember me),

This is my first post in a very very long time. I hope everyone is doing well.
What a lovely topic Jared ! Here are some pieces of music that would fit that description for me:

Think lyrical pieces of Grieg but not as light.

Lilburn Symphony no. 1. I have listened to that piece over and over many times over the last year.

And the last one is a piece by Debussy that is not that well-known. It usually consist of 2 harps, 2 flutes and a celesta + a reciter. Not a fan of the actual words but the music is amazing to me. Can't find a particular cd with just the instrumental part but found that clip:

Try it ! It is worth a shot.

It was also transcribed for solo piano under the name Six Epigraphes Antiques. Here is a cd that contains it:

Matt.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Hello Matt, you are very welcome, it is good to hear from you.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Thank you Sean! I want you and everyone else to know that I did not stop writing here because of any of you but because of my lack of interest in classical music over the many last few months. I often have thoughts about my friends from across the pond.

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:Thank you Sean! I want you and everyone else to know that I did not stop writing here because of any of you but because of my lack of interest in classical music over the many last few months. I often have thoughts about my friends from across the pond.

Matt.

Hello Matt,

You are always very welcome to visit this Forum whenever you are so inclined. It is good to hear from you again.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra