OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Peter Stockwell

Re: OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Post by Peter Stockwell »

jkeny wrote: Peter, I recommend leaving server 2012 for a later time when you have proven to yourself that putting in the effort will reap more rewards.
How you know I play (hack) golf ? I missed 4 from < 1m monday, got up my nose.

Ok, got it on server 2012, leave that aside for now. The NUC is audio only, I use VNC from my mac to control it most of the time. Ripping is from the Mac to a share on the Synology NAS. JRiver has v. good file & tag handling, so once ripped clean tags and then move to definitive music library. I like sound of MC19, I'm pouting at the idea that JPlay might be betterer, don't I need 8Gb of RAM for that ?

Also have a, crap, netbook running Win 7 basic that I sometimes use to rip with EAC.

Thanks for the guidance, everybody.
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Peter Stockwell wrote:
jkeny wrote: Peter, I recommend leaving server 2012 for a later time when you have proven to yourself that putting in the effort will reap more rewards.
How you know I play (hack) golf ? I missed 4 from < 1m monday, got up my nose.

Ok, got it on server 2012, leave that aside for now. The NUC is audio only, I use VNC from my mac to control it most of the time. Ripping is from the Mac to a share on the Synology NAS. JRiver has v. good file & tag handling, so once ripped clean tags and then move to definitive music library. I like sound of MC19, I'm pouting at the idea that JPlay might be betterer, don't I need 8Gb of RAM for that ?
OK, I kinda knew this would e the case & why I wanted to keep it simple. I suggest that you use a USB stick to put some audio files onto (WAV files only). I suggest that you play the audio files from the USB stick to start with. Can get into NAS, remote control,etc later.
Also have a, crap, netbook running Win 7 basic that I sometimes use to rip with EAC.

Thanks for the guidance, everybody.
I don't know what ripping software you use on the Mac (not iTunes, I hope) but I know EAC does a decent job & would suggest using this.

What you will need to do is also create a folder on USB stick called musicplayer & put the MQN files in there.
To play a song you use Explorer to click/highlight & copy(ctrl/c or right-click/copy) a WAV file - go to your musicplayer folder & double-click MQN which will then play your file to your default audio device.
MQN is a batch file & you will just need to edit one line at the top of it - it currently reads cd c:\musicplayer - you will need to change the disk letter to whatever your USB stick is allocated when it is plugged in.

Off to bed now & out of action tomorrow but Nige can help you sort out any problems.

You can download the 4 MQN files from here http://rapidshare.com/files/4290331020/jk.zip
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Peter Stockwell

jkeny wrote:I don't know what ripping software you use on the Mac (not iTunes, I hope) but I know EAC does a decent job & would suggest using this.
I use XLD, it references accurate rip, but doesn't return a "good" copy if there's a mismatch. That's when I use the crapbook with EAC.
jkeny wrote: What you will need to do is also create a folder on USB stick called musicplayer & put the MQN files in there.
To play a song you use Explorer to click/highlight & copy(ctrl/c or right-click/copy) a WAV file - go to your musicplayer folder & double-click MQN which will then play your file to your default audio device.
MQN is a batch file & you will just need to edit one line at the top of it - it currently reads cd c:\musicplayer - you will need to change the disk letter to whatever your USB stick is allocated when it is plugged in.

Off to bed now & out of action tomorrow but Nige can help you sort out any problems.

You can download the 4 MQN files from here http://rapidshare.com/files/4290331020/jk.zip
I'll try this very soon, I have to be careful otherwise I don't sleep ;)
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:mQn on windows server 2012 with gui is best route for beginners and its better than jplay as a standalone unit
almost identical to win 8 operationally
just select/copy wav file and hit go/mQn.bat
Yep, Peter could first try MQN on his Win 7 PC & see if he hears an improvement over JRiver. Minimal effort required.
Then look at using Windows Server 2012 later.

If you want to do this Peter/anybody - email me specifying AMD or Intel CPU that is in the PC you intend to use it on.
i thought we were at the "its wortwhile stage"

mqn or jplay
should be easy enough to hear the difference in any operating system config

mqn may have foobar integration now or in the future i havent looked into it yet

tried mqn 2.2 last night its an improvement over the version i was using previous
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote: I have to agree, lets keep this one a little more of a basic thread than the geekfest on the other thread. More and more of us will be dipping our toes in PC audio but we won't be stripping the batteries out of our cars on day one...
When you put it like that one starts to realise maybe an addiction has started to take hold. I will be down later for some more wine and chocolate to discuss.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
Ivor wrote: I have to agree, lets keep this one a little more of a basic thread than the geekfest on the other thread. More and more of us will be dipping our toes in PC audio but we won't be stripping the batteries out of our cars on day one...
When you put it like that one starts to realise maybe an addiction has started to take hold. I will be down later for some more wine and chocolate to discuss.
definitely an addiction
might be time to cut back a bit and go cold turkey
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yes, guys, I'm available for counselling !
The best counselors are ex-addicts themselves :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor or anybody, jump in & say whenever you think this thread is getting a bit too geeky. Sometimes it needs an externally, uninnolved opinion to see the wood from the trees.
www.Ciunas.biz
Peter Stockwell

Like Hifi is anything other than geeky?

Oh, I get it, like there's standard Geekiness, which we don't notice anymore. Then there's Ultrageeky ?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Peter Stockwell wrote:Like Hifi is anything other than geeky?

Oh, I get it, like there's standard Geekiness, which we don't notice anymore. Then there's Ultrageeky ?

beware of geeks bearing gifts. Gifts with linear power supplies and vice grips....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable