OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Peter Stockwell

OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Post by Peter Stockwell »

Or is it worth US$ 120 to upgrade to Windows 8 from 7 if using JRiver ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
jkeny

Re: OS for playback software on (Windows 7 or Windows 8)

Post by jkeny »

Peter Stockwell wrote:Or is it worth US$ 120 to upgrade to Windows 8 from 7 if using JRiver ?
Can't answer specifically about it's advantage with Jriver but Win 8 does sound better on every playback software that I've listened to. Mind you Windows server 2012 is better again. So before you spend any money why don't you download some trial versions & listen for yourself. I believe Server 2012 is available as a trial download.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Bon jour Peter you made your way here to paddy wackery land. Obviously the lure of the mania on buildanaudiopc thread was too much to resist!. Great to see you decided to join.

From your posts on PFM you will enjoy the experimenting. Unfortunately as i advised on pfm 8 is an improvement on 7 but why bother when you can go straight to core server which is a move beyond again. As John advised there is a bit of a learning curve to get up to speed with windows 2012 it is not for the faith hearted. You really need to download jplay and start moving in that direction. work with that first and if it rocks your boat you can integrate it with Jriver. Pearse (sligolad) will explain how.

If you jump in one of us can dropbox you the required files to get 2012 working. I know you posted re shock of 2 pc's being required on pfm but once you go experiment with this using a good set up you will not go back. Depending on your funding you can have 2 pc's sitting on your rack controlled by whatever device you use for remote on jplay.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Tony is correct but I wouldn't go for the 2 PC set-up initially - there are too many variables & it can be offputting.
Go with one PC & try MQN playback software - I highly recommend this approach.
Email me, Peter if you want the files for MQN - it's not a trial version as it's not commercial software
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

jkeny wrote:Tony is correct but I wouldn't go for the 2 PC set-up initially - there are too many variables & it can be offputting.
Go with one PC & try MQN playback software - I highly recommend this approach.
Email me, Peter if you want the files for MQN - it's not a trial version as it's not commercial software
Seek and ye shall find! Maybe I need a cup o tea, to handle all this ? Seriously, looks like I'm flailing around in the deep end. So what first, MQN or Windows server ?
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
tony

Post by tony »

John would Peter not be better off just trying Jplay singly first off and get his head around that. If it works for him moving to streaming from a laptop or PC is a logical step rather than start off again if he uses the mqn approach?
I haven't used the mqn so have no idea how good it is except John and Nigels recommendation.

It took me a lot of looking before I jumped in Peter. Some of the best advice I studiously ignored for a long time as I didn't fully understand how to implement it.

You can download a trial version of windows 2012 for free so do that whenever you fancy the hassle of getting it up and running. You could do a dual boot of an existing pc which gives you flexibility to try it and switch back to 'normal' windows at the drop of a hat.

Windows 8 upgrade I believe is very cheap from 7 so even to have a go at windows 8 sure why not?

Being very honest single laptop with jplay in hibernate and ultrastream is good enough for most punters. That is what I use on my second system. It is less hassle to set up. Streaming with jplay requires messing with either router or if you use a direct ethernet connection changing ip address settings in control panel. Core server is a learning curve unless you are a natural at pc installs.

Only thing I can add is that whatever route you go you will get plenty of support here. Even remote dial in support through teamviewer if required.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Tony, I'm aware, from what Peter has stated already, that he is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of new information that he is encountering here. My intention is to bring him along the path with an uncomplicated approach. The important thing when first starting along this path is to get early rewards as proof that one is on the right path.

That's why I suggested MQN to start with. It is simple, has no variables to adjust (like JPlay) & gives an instant reward.
I know you haven't tried it Tony ut I would suggest that you do :) I know you are trying to give him the best advice for best sound but remember back to when you first started. if you had been presented with Server 2012 you would have run screaming from the room/forum, screaming - I certainly would :)

Peter, I recommend leaving server 2012 for a later time when you have proven to yourself that putting in the effort will reap more rewards.
www.Ciunas.biz
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Tony, I'm aware, from what Peter has stated already, that he is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of new information that he is encountering here. My intention is to bring him along the path with an uncomplicated approach. The important thing when first starting along this path is to get early rewards as proof that one is on the right path. .

I have to agree, lets keep this one a little more of a basic thread than the geekfest on the other thread. More and more of us will be dipping our toes in PC audio but we won't be stripping the batteries out of our cars on day one...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

mQn on windows server 2012 with gui is best route for beginners and its better than jplay as a standalone unit
almost identical to win 8 operationally
just select/copy wav file and hit go/mQn.bat
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:mQn on windows server 2012 with gui is best route for beginners and its better than jplay as a standalone unit
almost identical to win 8 operationally
just select/copy wav file and hit go/mQn.bat
Yep, Peter could first try MQN on his Win 7 PC & see if he hears an improvement over JRiver. Minimal effort required.
Then look at using Windows Server 2012 later.

If you want to do this Peter/anybody - email me specifying AMD or Intel CPU that is in the PC you intend to use it on.
Last edited by jkeny on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz