Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:On the subject of Ankers!
I set one up on the SSD running server core on the Zuma audio PC today and it has made a good improvement as predicted.
Runs continuous without anything else connected.
What was telling is that I ended up switching off my sub today for the first time since it has been in my system after running with the Anker 5v supply to the SSD.
Really good bottom end now and the Quads are well able to deliver without the sub so looks like the B&W is finally going in to retirement.

Spent about 5 hours just listening to music so did not get to wire in the 12v to the CPCU, maybe tomorrow.
i bet if you get 12v into the cpu socket and a clean separate battery supply to the operating system
you will be retiring the B&W's as its one of the aspects these separate supplies bring clean tight bass
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

I set one up on the SSD running server core on the Zuma audio PC today and it has made a good improvement as predicted.
What was telling is that I ended up switching off my sub today for the first time since it has been in my system after running with the Anker 5v supply to the SSD.
Really good bottom end now and the Quads are well able to deliver without the sub so looks like the B&W is finally going in to retirement.

Spent about 5 hours just listening to music so did not get to wire in the 12v to the CPCU, maybe tomorrow.
That is more good news. We can now proceed with the swap of your black B&W PV sub for my silver one.
Win win for both of us.Silver or grey is a much more suitable colour for retirement.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:

That is more good news. We can now proceed with the swap of your black B&W PV sub for my silver one.
Win win for both of us.Silver or grey is a much more suitable colour for retirement.
never misses an opportunity
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Wow, you can't take your eye off this thread for a day or you're left reading back 3 or 4 pages of posts to catch up.

Well done, Nige for pushing the envelope - Haswell build sounds like it will be the next upgrade step - does it never end?

And just to feed all our addictions, here's another product that ye'all will be gagging for USB 3 optical cable (No not Adnaco) http://www.corning.com/cablesystems/naf ... 30401.aspx
Not due for release until Q3/Q4 2013 so start saving now :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Another one to part you from your money "Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Spotted At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside"
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-k ... ide_122531
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

BTW, for cheaper CPU options there are Haswell Pentium CPUs - cheaper than i3 Haswell apparently?
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013 ... faced.html

""Haswell" CPUs come with identical frequencies and other major features as Ivy Bridge-based G2030, G2030T, G2130, G2120T and G2140. New Pentiums have 2 CPU cores with 3 MB of last level cache, Haswell HD graphics, 35 Watt TDP on "T" products and 54 Watt TDP on mainstream products. The parts integrate basic set of technologies, including Intel 64 and Virtualization, but lack more advanced features, such as AES, Hyper-Threading, and Turbo boost. Despite almost identical features, Haswell Pentiums are expected to be faster than current G20xx and G21xx series microprocessors due to more efficient microarchitecture and enhanced GPU. We can only hope that Intel will not raise their prices by small margin, like they did with 4th generation Core i5 and i7 CPUs."

Might be more suited to audio use as graphics is lower specced & we don't need turbo boost or hyperthreading, I imagine? So could be a win-win solution. Same TDP as i3 so passive cooling is still an option
www.Ciunas.biz
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I havent read the entire thread as I've been away from hifi for several months but is the motivation behind this dedicated PC that you'll minimise or eliminate all sources of ground noise that might otherwise pollute the USB connection down to the DAC?

I take it that belief is that the bits extracted/packaged by the PC and sent to the external DAC are always the same no matter what PC improvements or JPlay versions are in use? That the technical explaination for any real improvements is the above?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:BTW, for cheaper CPU options there are Haswell Pentium CPUs - cheaper than i3 Haswell apparently?
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013 ... faced.html

""Haswell" CPUs come with identical frequencies and other major features as Ivy Bridge-based G2030, G2030T, G2130, G2120T and G2140. New Pentiums have 2 CPU cores with 3 MB of last level cache, Haswell HD graphics, 35 Watt TDP on "T" products and 54 Watt TDP on mainstream products. The parts integrate basic set of technologies, including Intel 64 and Virtualization, but lack more advanced features, such as AES, Hyper-Threading, and Turbo boost. Despite almost identical features, Haswell Pentiums are expected to be faster than current G20xx and G21xx series microprocessors due to more efficient microarchitecture and enhanced GPU. We can only hope that Intel will not raise their prices by small margin, like they did with 4th generation Core i5 and i7 CPUs."

Might be more suited to audio use as graphics is lower specced & we don't need turbo boost or hyperthreading, I imagine? So could be a win-win solution. Same TDP as i3 so passive cooling is still an option
yea this chips should be released in the next couple of months and should be just as capable the way ive set the last few in the bios
tony

Post by tony »

DaveF wrote:I havent read the entire thread as I've been away from hifi for several months but is the motivation behind this dedicated PC that you'll minimise or eliminate all sources of ground noise that might otherwise pollute the USB connection down to the DAC?

I take it that belief is that the bits extracted/packaged by the PC and sent to the external DAC are always the same no matter what PC improvements or JPlay versions are in use? That the technical explaination for any real improvements is the above?
That is a dangerous question I should refer you to wigwam or pfm threads for the answer. It will need John to try and explain the technical reasons. Some of us well me anyway are just trying out the various suggestions floating around the internet forums relating to computer audio. Fanless dedicated pc with linear or battery supplies (multiple) operating system on usb stick. 2nd dedicated pc to allow for jplay streaming of music to the audio pc all this added together is delivering 'better' results through various people's systems. From what I am learning from various threads/forums is that power supplies matter in all aspects of audio. What is causing the improvement is beyond my talents to explain.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:I havent read the entire thread as I've been away from hifi for several months but is the motivation behind this dedicated PC that you'll minimise or eliminate all sources of ground noise that might otherwise pollute the USB connection down to the DAC?

Dave,
The jury still hasn't given their verdict on this yet as evidence is still being presented both anecdotal & empirical evidence.

As Tony says, a number of us have heard the incremental improvement in audio that comes with the improvement in the power supplies to various parts of the computer.

The empirical evidence is beginning to be teased out also - John Swenson has claimed (& I've no reason not to believe him) that he has measured different noise levels/spectrum on the ground plane (in USB DAC ?) form different playback software.

There is a good series of articles by John Swenson on this topic posted on Audiostream here:
Part 1 http://www.audiostream.com/content/qa-j ... at-digital
Part 2: http://www.audiostream.com/content/qa-j ... -just-bits
Part 3 to follow.

You probably know all or most of this but it is very well presented & Part 3 will be the most interesting, I believe?
From Part 2 I have quoted some relevant bits in answer to your question:
So now the crux of the matter, how can what goes into the USB receiver affect any of this? In several ways: packet jitter, edge jitter, PLLs. I’ll go over each of these.

Packet jitter is the difference in the arrival time of packets to the receiver chip. USB packets are transmitted over the bus at either 1000 per second (full speed mode) or 8000 per second (high speed mode). Every time one of those packets hits the receiver a lot of activity happens inside the receiver chip. This creates lots of noise inside the chip and on the ground plane. This causes a lot of jitter on the outputs from the chip. The spectrum of this noise and jitter has a VERY strong component at either 1KHz or 8KHz, both of which are directly in the audio range. Any changes in the arrival time of the packets will change the spectrum of this packet noise. In the next installment I’ll cover what causes this packet jitter.

Next is edge jitter, this is traditional jitter of the individual edges on the bus. As with everything else I have been talking about, jitter on the input can cause noise in the chip and on the ground plane that is related to the spectrum of the jitter. This is where things like different cables can have an effect on what is happening.

Next is PLLs. Every USB receiver chip has at least one if not more PLLs. These PLLs are affected by both the previous types of jitter and since almost all the circuitry inside the chip is clocked by these PLLs, the jitter on output signals and ground plane noise is going to be significantly affected by the noise spectrum coming out of the PLLs. This is filtered by the PLL loop filter, but there are still major components related to the input jitter.
I remember Marcin answering me with one word when I emailed him asking for help with best computer spec for an audio PC - that word was "stability" & I believe it encompasses all of the above succinctly. Latency, which used to be considered a desirable feature for audio PCs is actually, I believe a kind of surrogate (but inaccurate) measurement for stability.
www.Ciunas.biz