Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by tony »

Tony you buy it we'll try it[/quote]

No prob once I find the measuring tape and confirm length required. I wonder is it available in a selection of colours?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Tony you buy it we'll try it
No prob once I find the measuring tape and confirm length required. I wonder is it available in a selection of colours?[/quote]

get one of each colour!!!!!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Found an interesting read for those really dedicated to the Digital cause which really reinforces the clean power route.
Reading about how one of the guys ran big tractor batteries on his gear for years brings a lot of images to mind :-)

It is also good to read how enthusiasts with some little knowledge are willing to throw out the rule book and test their work, I like the bit where the limit of a circuit was found by "smoking" it after incrementally increasing power, I think I would fall in to that category!
You can start here:
http://www.dddac.com/dddac1794.html

And if the thought of building a nice clean 5v or 12v supply tickes you after reading then go straight here:
http://www.dddac.com/sales_1794.html

Might even consider a DAC build after reading this.....sometime!!!

Post by tony »

Nice find Pearse plenty of reading there and lots of ideas. Some of that stuff looks kinda similar to PPang products.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

On the Anker battery issue, shutting down after or during play, I consulted with Nige and Tony and considered that the current draw from the Anker was too small when feeding the Sandisk USB with O/S. The Anker shut down due to low current draw. I went to good old Maplins today and bought a USB Notebook Light http://www.maplin.co.uk/notebook-light-2790 which draws 500mA and plugged this into the other output. So far everything is working flawlessly. So far so good and the SQ is excellent.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Perfect solution and badly need at the back of a rack anyway just to see the myriad of cables and connections!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Perfect solution and badly need at the back of a rack anyway just to see the myriad of cables and connections!
myriad of connections

have you even seen mine?!!!!!!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Looks like the Anker is kept going by the joint demands of the USB Server Key and the USB light. When I switch off the PC the Anker shuts down within 1 minute and the light goes out so no unplugging is required.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Thats great ken
really couldn't have worked out much better
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

On the subject of Ankers!
I set one up on the SSD running server core on the Zuma audio PC today and it has made a good improvement as predicted.
Runs continuous without anything else connected.
What was telling is that I ended up switching off my sub today for the first time since it has been in my system after running with the Anker 5v supply to the SSD.
Really good bottom end now and the Quads are well able to deliver without the sub so looks like the B&W is finally going in to retirement.

Spent about 5 hours just listening to music so did not get to wire in the 12v to the CPCU, maybe tomorrow.