Florence and the Machine

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
b318isp

Florence and the Machine

Post by b318isp »

A friend of mine is heading to Luxembourg to hear Florence and the Machine, who seem to be extraordinarily popular over the last few months - and have attracted many nominations and awards.

Having given Lungs a good few listens, I just don't get it. They have one or two really good tracks, but in the main I find Florence's voice shouting and tiring. A double album of this is just too much. Whoever produced the album seems set on putting in lots of screechy voices singing half an octave above where they are suited together. This is a shame, as the underlying music and lyrics aren't too bad.

If a dare call them a mainstream Indie act, I just don't get their popularity, and certainly can't fathom why someone would want to go to Luxembourg to hear them.
Ivor

Re: Florence and the Machine

Post by Ivor »

I like "Lungs" but everything you say is true. The production gets in the way but once you get over that by repeated listening you see the good stuff. I'd stroll down to Whelans to see them but I wouldn't leave the country.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

Have the CD and I’ve tried to get into it, but so far no joy.
I’m sure it’s an age thing … it takes ages for me to “get” anything this new.
For what ever reason I can’t get a grip on it… I want to, but…
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Manc Pat

Post by Manc Pat »

I too have their album. Apart from a couple tracks, I find it repetitive.
Nothing really new about their music. The lead singer is quite nice though!!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I also have the CD but despite several listens I just couldnt warm to it at all.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

My copy has been robbed by my duaghter but I must say I liked bits of it a lot. I suppose if I did want that kind of sound I'd look to Feist before any others.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Manc Pat

Post by Manc Pat »

We all think it is rubbish then!!!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ah no. I like it a lot but I'm a bit mystified as to why some people -the media mainly - think it's the best thing ever.