Devialet 170

KenMoran

Re: Devialet 170

Post by KenMoran »

It's not strictly necessary to have a PC at all in the mix. Any digital source output - USB, SP/DIF, AES/BSU - will work absolutely fine. However, I'm like most of you - I have all my music on a NAS and really don't want to copy this all to a PC and connect the PC to the Devialet. First experiment will be to see if I can wirelessly stream from from my NAS to a PC with Devialet AIR installed on the PC - and from there to the Devailet, using Jriver or something similar. If this works, I can then hide the PC away and use JRemote from my iPhone as the control point. A little kludgy, I agree, but I could live with this until Devialet finally bite the bullet and develop a Linux version of AIR which can run directly on the NAS.

ATB, Ken
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Can't you run squeezeserver (the squeezebox server software) on most NAS drive? If you can then maybe you could install that on the NAS and use your phone to run the SW?
Do or do not, there is no try
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

Hi Fran - good thought. I'd forgotten about this, will give it a try. There just seem so many permutations with Devialet ....

ATB, Ken
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Took delivery of a spanking brand new 110 today. Sounds great out of the box. Feeding it over coax from a loaner Arcam CD23 for the time being. Loads of config options which I'll get around to in time. For now its great to have some music again in the living room.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

Congrats DaveF. A great bit of kit.
block

Post by block »

Wow congrats Dave!

Didn't know you pulled the trigger, I might go over sometime next month for a demo through a sonos.

If it sounds good even through a sonos playing normal flacs I'll be very tempted.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Spent a bit more time with the Audioplans and Devialet during the last few evenings listening to variety of stuff ranging from female/male vocals and some classical. Despite no effort on my part to fine-tune speaker positioning or mess around with any amp settings plus the fact that the CDP is an old bashed up Arcam CD23, I'm quite sure even at this stage that it's probably the best hifi system I've had so far.
That's pretty high praise given that I've had the likes of B&W, Sonus Faber, Classe, Leben, Kharma, Airtight, Clearaudio, Usher, Resolution Audio, Gamut, Krell & Wadia all through the living room at some point in the last few years.
The most balanced system I've had to date was the Usher/Gamut/Wadia combo but this current system has raised the bar by quite a big margin.

I don't have other components at hand for comparison purposes to say if the improvements are mainly down to the Audioplans or the Devialet but I guess the combo is working quite well together. I'm really eager to hear what a good TT/phonostage would sound like through it but purchasing that is a few months away at the very least.

I'll post up more impressions of the sound over the weekend but suffice it to say, the Devialet/Audioplans just seem to do everything remarkably well. The one aspect that strikes me the most is the extremely tight and tuneful bass.

Very happy camper so far. What is probably the least 'attractive' looking hifi I've owned is turning out to be the best sounding by far.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Dave, don't you intend to use the phonostage on the 170? It gets very good reports!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Its the 110 I have not the 170. The phonostage in the 110 is not as configurable as in the 170 but I didnt want to spend the extra for the 170.
From reading other forums the ADC section of the Devialet is very very transparent, so much so that it retains any 'character' of any incoming analog signal beit from a CDP or phonostage. So I'm ok with the idea of adding external phonostage if needs be.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, forgot you got the 110. Makes sense.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2