You Tube Videos

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Ivor

Re: You Tube Videos

Post by Ivor »

A slowed down version of "Jolene" from the hugely talented Dolly Parton. Done simply to show off her vocal dexterity...
The original is something of a test track for me (no really), you want bongos on your country music? We got some.

more info on the subject here..... http://steviecurates.blogspot.ie/2009/1 ... olene.html
The first inklings of this story came from fans of Ms.Parton's earlier hit single 'Jolene'. As many consumers have inadvertently discovered, especially since the reemergence of 12' 45rpm records of which this present disc is a peculiar subset, it is not uncommon to find oneself playing 45rpm sides at the LP standard speed of 331/3. In this transposed tempo 'Jolene' reveals the singer to be a handsome tenor. Additional layers of homosexual longing, convoluted ménages à trois and double identities are revealed in a vortex of androgyny as one switches, verse to verse, between the two standard playback speeds."
Whilst to my ears the backing music does work extremely well, the reduced pace darkening the mood of the track wonderfully, I'm not sure I'm totally convinced that Dolly's voice resembles that of a male when heard at twelve revs fewer per minute - but if disbelief can be suspended briefly, one gets a whole new intriguing perspective on her lyric : a man worrying about losing his man to the song's female subject; the vulnerability of a male capable of being moved to tears by the potential situation.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's quite amazing. Nice find Ivor.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Amazing indeed....
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

tweber

Post by tweber »

jadarin wrote:
priceless
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah Christ that's brilliant!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

For Mazzy Star fans. Some rare footage from 1994.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:For Mazzy Star fans. Some rare footage from 1994.

Great find Dave! Looking forward to catching up later :) Would you believe I was just after playing that first song before I discovered your post!!!!!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A nice little docu around the recordings of Dylans "Self Portrait" and "New Morning" in advance of the release of the new album:

http://vimeo.com/72494889
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

And another.

I think I'm about to go on a Dylan bender

Do or do not, there is no try