Devialet 170

Diapason

Re: Devialet 170

Post by Diapason »

That's the biggest criticism I've seen elsewhere. Seems a major oversight.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

Yeah I only just realised this as well. Major drawback for me and will mean I can't consider it an option for the time being.... :(
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Can someone summarise the main issues with streaming on the Devialet? I only had a very brief scan through other forums.

I take it that there are no problems using an ethernet/usb connection from say a Sonos/Squeezebox or PC? Simplicity and convienance would be important so I think I'll rule out PC as a source for now.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

I will use a SBT via coax digital output of the SBT into the digital input of the D170. I've already demoed this at home and it sounded wonderful. Any streamer that you fancy - as long as it has a digital output - can be connected to the D170. Longer term, I'll investigate AIR and, given the recent addition of Ethernet and USB ports, will monitor how Devialet intend to exploit these. There are already rumours of upnp functionality coming downstream, but nothing official yet.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I still much prefer the idea of having a disc spinner even if they are going way of the dodo fast. A dCS Verdi transport can be had for around 2k sterling including carriage and that's direct from dCS too. They'll service it and it will come with a 6 month warranty.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That seems like a very good deal for the verdi Dave.

DACs and streamers are not fully there yet I think in terms of SQ. Look at the gains yet to be made on the straight PC audio front - and my thinking is that none of those kinds of gains have even been thought about yet re streaming. For now, its basic functionality.

When I was in cloneys, I thought they were using it by streaming via itunes?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

It can stream over WiFi, Fran, just not directly from a NAS. As you say, thus far the reports would suggest that a wired version sounds slightly better anyway. All told, I haven't yet figured out whetherthe requirement for a PC in the mix would be a deal breaker for me or not...

All academic anyway, cos I ain't got the budget at the mo.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

So the Audioplan Kontrast V's and 110 are being dropped out to me tomorrow to see how it goes. Fingers crossed that things won't end up a nightmare although I've a good feeling about it this time. Two very well engineered components. What could possibly go wrong! /rolleyes!

Still won't have a TT for 2/3 months but one step at a time.

I'll report back on the Devialet etc.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:It can stream over WiFi, Fran, just not directly from a NAS. As you say, thus far the reports would suggest that a wired version sounds slightly better anyway. All told, I haven't yet figured out whetherthe requirement for a PC in the mix would be a deal breaker for me or not...

All academic anyway, cos I ain't got the budget at the mo.
Its difficult to see the point if you still need a pc
maybe theres something else up their sleeve
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Good man, Dave!!!
nige2000 wrote: maybe theres something else up their sleeve
Given the backlash, I wouldn't be surprised if they make sure they have something up their sleeve, whether they'd originally intended to or not. Still, I suppose that's one of the great things about this machine: updates in functionality are actually possible. They've also flagged a room correction update at some point, so they do seem to have great plans. All this stuff intrigues me, to be honest.