Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Diapason

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote:
Diapason wrote:
jkeny wrote:
Simon there are a couple of excellent USB converters around - just sayin' :)
Problem with the wadia is that there are no digital outs at all. Nada.
Oh, no digital INs, you mean - so an internal USB board is the only option?
Ah, mix-up. I was talking about my current Wadia CDP. I don't know anything about the new Wadia competitor to the Devialet machine, but you'd hope that would have USB. Although nothing would surprise me...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

couldnt wait ordered two 7ah sla batteries for my collection of parts

heres a cable i made for injecting clean power from the anker usb battery pack into usb3 (wtg) externally

Last edited by nige2000 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Guys don't think I believe the stuff I was just referencing it as it had info that might be worth considering and you two are the best here to ascertain if it is rubbish or worth factoring in.

Great Nigel to see you can't wait! Where is the link? Going on John's suggestions these are going to either deliver a completely different sonic signature (better/worse/different) but you will have the ability to test this.

The one thing I took from that link was that an old battery could be a problem which fed into my preference to get a couple of new ones rather than go the recycling route.

On a more mundane level is there a cable that will convert sata to usb? I want to try the ssd on my laptop with the linear power supply.
Waiting for the anker battery yoke that John referenced in amazon hence the Linear supply(5v) will be spare. Alternatively I need to see a photo of how to make up a power contraption for my usb stick used on the laptop. Kinda hoping Linear supply on the laptop will get me a long way to zuma(control pc) quality without having to spend too much(to hell with the looks)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nige, what's your opinion of the comparison between the Anker battery and the little 5V linear wall wart? esp when used for OS/USB?
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Nige, what's your opinion of the comparison between the Anker battery and the little 5V linear wall wart? esp when used for OS/USB?
KM
i definitely prefer the battery pack, (its more than half of the total improvement in sq BUT NOT IT ALL)
its likely that these battery packs will remain as ps to os unless lifepo4 sounds better will i will be trying these in the future

but i think were going to end up with batteries included in all power supplies to take most of the last bit of ripple in the current

i most likely will be starting to pick up bits for a haswell build shortly the fancy fanless case will be long fingered
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

i most likely will be starting to pick up bits for a haswell build shortly the fancy fanless case will be long fingered[/quote]

Have seen your posts on jplay about haswell and your view on Micks haswell build. Definitely take a lot of time before spending any amount on new control pc best to try and make sure it is required spend only once.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Thanks Nige, that's all the encouragement I needed, I shall order one today.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
Ken Moreland wrote:Nige, what's your opinion of the comparison between the Anker battery and the little 5V linear wall wart? esp when used for OS/USB?
KM
i definitely prefer the battery pack, (its more than half of the total improvement in sq BUT NOT IT ALL)
its likely that these battery packs will remain as ps to os unless lifepo4 sounds better will i will be trying these in the future

but i think were going to end up with batteries included in all power supplies to take most of the last bit of ripple in the current

i most likely will be starting to pick up bits for a haswell build shortly the fancy fanless case will be long fingered
One thing about the Haswell, Nige - it's not going to be as easy to independently power the CPU as your current config which might be a 25% drawback? I'm struggling with the NUC to see how I would go about it & if I even should - the risk of nuking the NUC doesn't appeal.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Thanks Nige, that's all the encouragement I needed, I shall order one today.
KM
ok as long as theres no disappointment if we end up switching to lifepo4
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
KM

One thing about the Haswell, Nige - it's not going to be as easy to independently power the CPU as your current config which might be a 25% drawback? I'm struggling with the NUC to see how I would go about it & if I even should - the risk of nuking the NUC doesn't appeal.
cpu is powered the same as always the 4pin plug.
its the flexibility in the bios that appeals